Hi Newbie from the UK...Hermans Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi,
I have just got my first Tort...a 15 month Herman's called 'shelley'.
Although I dont know what sex it is....for me its a she. I got her on Wednesday and since then she hasnt done a lot except sleep in her hide!! I am having a little difficulty getting her to eat anything...in fact she only wants to eat what she shouldnt have...Tomatoes. My mum put a piece in her enclosure not realising and she practically sprinted to it. I have tried sooo many things from the 'safe' list but nothing seems to tempt her...is it just cos she is still settling in?? Any ideas on how I can get her to eat?? I have bathed her every other day since I got her which she doesnt seem to mind and afterwards has sooo much energy. And from all the posts I have read it seems that I have her home set up right...
DSC00412.JPGDSC00409.JPGDSC00410.JPGDSC00415.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
charlieparki, you could try squeezing tomato juice on some of her greens and see if she will eat it or mixing some small diced tomato into her greens then slowly cut down on the tomatoe in her greens. Sometimes this tricks them into eating their greens.

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I actually gave it a go today and she still wasnt interested but a small success....finally she is interested in dandelions!!! I now have to get on with growing some cos she will soon have eaten the small amount I have...

Thanks for the advice...its great how much everyone helps on this forum!!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello, and welcome to TFO. She is probabley still settling in, try chopping her food up really small and then mix it all together, you could mix in some diced tomato and dandelions. She will have to eat the good stuff to get to her favorites. once she is eating well start slowly taking away the tomato. Good Luck, also what are the temps in her enclosure?? Do you have a UVB bulb??

charlieparki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...hot end is 85f and cool end is around 65f. Yes I do have a UVB bulb...

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
welcome to TFO.
you can try a little Squash. Hermanns seem to love it and it might just get her going. Dandelions are great for her, so keep feeding them.

oh, and feel free to push the hot end to 90ºF

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great Yarmouth, UK
this reminds me of when I got Ollie about 4.5 years ago :D
same substrate and same hide :p
when I got him I started off with cucumber, and differnt types of lettuce (not the best i know) But when he started to feed and settle in I started to feed dandelions and greens aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.