hi, new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComaDivine

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hey everybody, first post. glad to be here.

i recently acquired my tortoise from a friend of a relative, my first as a pet. i've attached a pic (if it works!) and would appreciate it if anybody can confirm the type; i'm thinking its a tunisian-spur thigh but opinions from people who know better would be great. also got a few more questions but i'll leave those to another time :)

Attachments

• tortoise.JPG
    tortoise.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 25

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
ComaDivine, welcome to the forum. Nice tort, more pics please to better identify. one from above one from below at least.

ComaDivine

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
ComaDivine, welcome to the forum. Nice tort, more pics please to better identify. one from above one from below at least.

ok thanks, here's a few more.

Attachments

• below.JPG
    below.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 23
  • above.JPG
    above.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 29
  • tucking in.JPG
    tucking in.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 24

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome to TFO, I am going to say Female Hermanns, but don't hold me to it, my track record with IDing greeks and Hermanns has not been good lately... But you have a cute tort there, but watch what you are feeding as I see some pyramiding down the scutes.

ComaDivine

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
Hello and welcome to TFO, I am going to say Female Hermanns, but don't hold me to it, my track record with IDing greeks and Hermanns has not been good lately... But you have a cute tort there, but watch what you are feeding as I see some pyramiding down the scutes.

thanks jenrell. i wondered about her diet too actually, seeing i don't know what the previous owners fed her. dandelion leaves are what she usually eats, and when i asked at a pet shop they suggested other leaves like basil and parsley. i also give her vitamin supplements regularly, and a bit of a grape occasionally.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
hmmm... I wouldn´t say THH. no keyhole on the back and no cheek spot...
I'd say greek.
Maybe Danny or Chris can clear this up?
(welcome to TFO, ComaDivine)

ComaDivine

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcomes and the help so far. any other suggestions? seems no easy feat id-ing some of these little guys :p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
can we get a pic of its back end. like it is walking away from you and maybe a close up of its tail area, (like where it poos)?

ComaDivine

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
can we get a pic of its back end. like it is walking away from you and maybe a close up of its tail area, (like where it poos)?

ok got a couple more photos. quality isn't great, second one was a bit tricky to take but hopefully they'll be of help

Attachments

• behind shot 1.JPG
    behind shot 1.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 11
  • behind shot 2.JPG
    behind shot 2.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 11

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
ComaDivine said:
Crazy1 said:

ok got a couple more photos. quality isn't great, second one was a bit tricky to take but hopefully they'll be of help

It's a Hermann's after all, but a Testudo hermanni boettgeri. And quite pyramided...

ComaDivine

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
TestudoGeek said:
ComaDivine said:
Crazy1 said:

It's a Hermann's after all, but a Testudo hermanni boettgeri. And quite pyramided...

i feared that. like i said, i dont know what conditions she was kept in before, or what she fed on. i just googled it to find out more about pyramiding and now i'm quite worried about it, is there anything i can do to prevent it more-so, other than calcium supplements/correct diet/sunlight? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.