Hi!, new member here

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheACO731

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The OC
Hello all, My name is John, I am 43 and live in southern California. I have four sulcatas.
"Pops"-male 6 years, "Speed"-male 3 years, "Trixie"- female 2 1/2 years, and a new, still unnamed female 2 years old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

189056c5rspmwfgp.gif

to the forum!

My gawsh! Four sulcatas! I have only one, Dudley, who weighs a bit more than 100lbs. I had to find a new home for his girlfriend. It was just too much trouble and extra work repairing fences all the time!

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum John :) If you have any pics of your Sulcatas, do not hesitate to share them with us :D We love pics!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
John, I too live in So CA. Welcome to the forum. :) I am looking forward to seeing pics of your Sullys and hearing of their future adventures. :p

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see pics:)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You must treat us to a few photos of your Sulcata herd.

I know Sulcata's stay pretty small their first few years of life, but how big and heavy are they at 6 years? I want to see Pops compared to your other chelonians.:p

E

embertin

TheACO731 said:
Hello all, My name is John, I am 43 and live in southern California. I have four sulcatas.
"Pops"-male 6 years, "Speed"-male 3 years, "Trixie"- female 2 1/2 years, and a new, still unnamed female 2 years old.

Welcome john :)
you can share your sulcatas's pics here..

TheACO731

5 Year Member
The OC
here are some pics!

Attachments

• DSC00287.JPG
    DSC00287.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00297.JPG
    DSC00297.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00307.JPG
    DSC00307.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00315.JPG
    DSC00315.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 17

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
WOW!!!!

That is a BIG difference between three and six years! Is Pops full grown now, or will he get even bigger? And what a difference between 3-year-old Speed and 2 1/2-year-old Trixie. Is that because Speed is male, or is Trixie heading into a major growth spurt?

Can I just say "WOW" again?!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming that each picture was of a different tortoise? They each seem to have a totally different look to their faces. And your yard is beautiful! Lots of grazing for them. I'm glad to see that you've separated the large one from the smaller ones. Do you have to provide heat at night for them during the winter?

Yvonne

TheACO731

5 Year Member
The OC
More pics, One of pops-6, Speed-4 and trixie-2 together. It's only a guess that pops is 6, the vet who gave him to me said that when they are 35-40lb they are in the 5-6 range, sulcatas are full grown around 12 yrs I believe. Speed might be a little closer to 4 not 100% sure and he was very malnourished when I got him. It’s also a guess that the two girls are about 2 to 2 ½ .The first 4 years they seem to double in size each year.
I Had to separate them because Pops the big one would just walk right over the little ones and almost broke a leg, plus he keeps trying to mount Speed, guess he cant tell speed's another male! They are only outside during the day if warm enough, Pops has a heated Dog house in the garage.
In the morning we open the side door and he goes out into the yard and in the afternoon we open the door and he comes in. Just like a dog!. It will be nice when they are all able to do that. The others sleep in a heated tortoise table with a lid, we have to carry them out and in from the yard.

Attachments

• 1114081003.jpg
    1114081003.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00320.JPG
    DSC00320.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 15

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum John! Your sulcatas and your care for them are impressive. What material is your divider made from? Has Pops tried to go "through" it yet? I'm always looking for interesting ways of separation since my Leopard Tank likes to dominate and harass Bump. I really like the look of the divider you're using. Thanks for sharing the photos.

TheACO731

5 Year Member
The OC
Laura said:
ACO ?? Are you? I am!
I have 4 sulcatas as well!

Yes! I'll pm you

katesgoey said:
Welcome to the forum John! Your sulcatas and your care for them are impressive. What material is your divider made from? Has Pops tried to go "through" it yet? I'm always looking for interesting ways of separation since my Leopard Tank likes to dominate and harass Bump. I really like the look of the divider you're using. Thanks for sharing the photos.

It’s just a painted 1"x10"x8' with a couple of stakes driven into the ground on each side to hold it up, plus I can move it around the yard to prevent the grass getting worn in one spot. Not too expensive, from home depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.