Hi, I'm new here!

JSWallace

Ha well I live in UK so in all honesty I haven't really had a lot of dealings with camels! So will take your word as to their horribleness!

JSWallace

Yes I did this, grapes, tomatoes and cucumber. I know these aren't the best nutritionally for her but I reckoned they smelt good so may tempt her

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Yes I did this, grapes, tomatoes and cucumber. I know these aren't the best nutritionally for her but I reckoned they smelt good so may tempt her
The most important thing right now is hydration.
I'm sure she'll start to eat soon, when she's ready.

JSWallace

Yes it's her eyes that are concerning me more at the moment, so keeping up with twice daily soaks for now. Have another vets appointment next week

JSWallace

I had my last tortoise for nearly fifty years without really doing anything right! It is so good to have this resource here to make sure I am getting things right this time

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jane, and welcome to the Forum!

The stuff on her eyes is called eye caps. It is hardened pus and will need to be removed. Soak the tortoise in warm water, leaving her in there for a long, long time, but looking in on her occasionally to make sure she hasn't tipped upside down in the water. You can position a light over a portion of the soak pan, but make sure there's enough room for her to get out from under the light so she doesn't cook. You may have to do this several days in a row. You can also drop mineral oil (liquid paraffin/petroleum) onto the eye. Anything to help soften the eye caps. When you think the time is right, gently try lifting it at the edge. If it doesn't come off easily, it's not ready.

Sometimes when a tortoise has swollen shut eyes, the swollen eyelid looks sort of like something on the eye, but it's just the eyelid. So be sure about eye caps before you mess with picking them off.

If you leave the tortoise in the babyfood daily for a good half hour, the eyes should open after three days.

Since this happened during hibernation, there's a good chance the tortoise has a respiratory infection.

JSWallace

Hi Yvonne, thanks for that information. From things I have read on here I had sort of come to that conclusion. The problem I am having is that she isn't opening her eyes at all at the moment, only once very quickly when I was soaking her yesterday. So I will carry on with the soaking and hope for the best. She shows no sign of any respiratory infection, nose is clear. I had reptile vet check her over too and he sad all clear respiratory wise. Is her sight likely to be affected long term by this?

JSWallace

Hi Jane, and welcome to the Forum!

The stuff on her eyes is called eye caps. It is hardened pus and will need to be removed. Soak the tortoise in warm water, leaving her in there for a long, long time, but looking in on her occasionally to make sure she hasn't tipped upside down in the water. You can position a light over a portion of the soak pan, but make sure there's enough room for her to get out from under the light so she doesn't cook. You may have to do this several days in a row. You can also drop mineral oil (liquid paraffin/petroleum) onto the eye. Anything to help soften the eye caps. When you think the time is right, gently try lifting it at the edge. If it doesn't come off easily, it's not ready.

Sometimes when a tortoise has swollen shut eyes, the swollen eyelid looks sort of like something on the eye, but it's just the eyelid. So be sure about eye caps before you mess with picking them off.

If you leave the tortoise in the babyfood daily for a good half hour, the eyes should open after three days.

Since this happened during hibernation, there's a good chance the tortoise has a respiratory infection.
Hi Yvonne, so I am continuing with the soaking but still her eyes are closed , they do look a little less swollen though. She has been out of hibernation ten days now and I am so missing seeing her lovely beady eyes so that I can say hello properly to her. She isn't eating either which I presume is because she can't see food. She seems fit and active in all other respects

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Yvonne, so I am continuing with the soaking but still her eyes are closed , they do look a little less swollen though. She has been out of hibernation ten days now and I am so missing seeing her lovely beady eyes so that I can say hello properly to her. She isn't eating either which I presume is because she can't see food. She seems fit and active in all other respects
Glad to hear that this story has a happy ending and that the eyes are now better. :):tort::<3: