Hi, I am a new member here.

Ruby786

Location (City and/or State)
Mumbai
Hi I have star torts that are addicted to tomatoes and refuse to eat anything else. This makes their poop fluidy what should I do

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
food addictions...you need to start a much more complete diet. Go to species category and find star tortoise; there you will find info on a good variety of food stuffs. Then you need to add it to something it loves; but has to eat new foods to get to it. Slowly reduce the tomatoes and increase other food stuffs. Soften pellet foods and cover the tomato pieces. You might have luck with food stuffs or safe flower blooms that are similar in color to tomatoes. Most off all be firm; and don't give in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Care and diet of star torts is much the same as Leopard Torts.
See this
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

You need to get the leafy greens in their diet. Tomatoes are high in sugars and, as your torts can't digest sugars properly, this will lead to digestive and kidney problems so it's essential to sort it. This will involve you being a tough parent and your torts going on hunger strike!

Your torts can go a long time without food and come to no harm, but they must not become dehydrated so a daily 30 minute soak in warm water is essential on days when they don't eat.

So take the food your tort will eat and chop it small.

Normally I recommend wetting it, but tomato is already pretty wet.

Chop a small amount of new healthy food small and mix it with the tomato. The wetness will make it stick so it can't be picked out.

If your torts eat the mixture then at the next feed increase the amount of greens slightly and decrease the amount of tomato by the same amount.

If your torts refuse to eat then leave the mixture in place for 24 hours, it doesn't matter if it goes limp, then clear it away. Replace with a fresh mix in exactly the same proportions. Don't forget the soak.

It will take time, patience and mental strength from you. You must not give in when your torts refuse food as this is essential for their health. We will support you; most of us have had a tort on hunger strike at some time!

I also advise keeping these torts separately so you can keep a close eye on who is eating what. One may come round to the new diet quicker than the other and you don't want to find out it is monopolising the food and the other is not being allowed to eat anything.

These torts are not social in any case. They don't need, want friends. They will vigorously defend their territory and food. Gender and being hatch mates makes no difference. They need to be separate to thrive.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
And Ruby
You might want to get some Mazuri and put it in some water down tomato juice! And every couple of weeks and more water and less juice until your tort will be off tomatoes all to gether!