Hi, glad to find this forum! We have 2 sulcatas

TweedleDeeDum

Hi, glad to find this forum! We have 2 Sulcatas, Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum. They are about 3 1/2 yrs old. I'm figuring things out on my own, & have had them for about 15 months. This is a pic of their yard, I move the bricks every few weeks to give them fresh grass. I also give them kale nearly every day, just don't know how much they should be eating. Also, their shells seem to be dry- what do I do about it, if anything? I have so many questions! Thank you!!

IMG_8776.JPG IMG_8618.JPG

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Please take a look at these care sheets
You have a very big yard and they really need to be kept separate. Torts don't do good in pairs

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Is that strawberries in the picture that your feeding. Kale is not a good food to feed everyday, they need a good variety of grass and weeds.

They need a pool or something they can also soak in and Stay hydrate. The small one has a lot of pyramiding which are signs it's been kept far to dry,

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!

I see a big, perimeter fence-building project in your future!

TweedleDeeDum

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Please take a look at these care sheets
You have a very big yard and they really need to be kept separate. Torts don't do good in pairs

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Is that strawberries in the picture that your feeding. Kale is not a good food to feed everyday, they need a good variety of grass and weeds.

They need a pool or something they can also soak in and Stay hydrate. The small one has a lot of pyramiding which are signs it's been kept far to dry,[/QUOTE
These two have never been separated, so I assumed they should be together:/
They have a pool, I moved them closer to the house because of the colder weather, so they no longer can reach their large pool- I'll have to move them again this week, it's a good workout anyway:)
I'm not sure where to get their food, is letting them graze sufficiently feeding them? The small one was pyramided when she came to us, and we can't undo that, but want her to have what she needs now.

TweedleDeeDum

How do I keep them warm, but not dry? Our weather isn't super cold, but not predictable at all. They tend to stay in their house, and are very dry. They don't want to go in their pool- the water is not heated.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
How do I keep them warm, but not dry? Our weather isn't super cold, but not predictable at all. They tend to stay in their house, and are very dry. They don't want to go in their pool- the water is not heated.
Where abouts are you located? This information can help us to better give you answers for you specifically.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
These two have never been separated, so I assumed they should be together:/
They have a pool, I moved them closer to the house because of the colder weather, so they no longer can reach their large pool- I'll have to move them again this week, it's a good workout anyway:)
I'm not sure where to get their food, is letting them graze sufficiently feeding them? The small one was pyramided when she came to us, and we can't undo that, but want her to have what she needs now.

1. yes its better to separate them. Although they've always been together one has probably suffered being bullied and not got to eat as well as it could've.
2. Just get anything large they can drink from or walk into just to help with hydration.
3. Grazing is good, look around outside of the area they are kept in for dandelion leaves, Mulberry leaves, cactus pads, grape vine. I know these things are all over parts of Texas.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I know they are already larger but take them inside one at a time, 2-3 times a week and soak them in luke warm water for about 20 minutes until it warms up outside. Let the water come up to just above where the bottom and top of the shell come together. I soak mine in our spare tub, and It gets nasty but that's part of taking care of a pet

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
He just sits in there and relaxes, and when the water is running he will sit right under it.

Attachments

• soak.jpg
    soak.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 11