Hi from the Hudson Valley NY

I recently got my first tortoise. A Russian. I've had terrapins in the past. I have 2 habitats for him. One outside to get some sun with a hide if too much sun and one inside with ceramic heater. We've had some nights in the 60s. Anyone one else from the hudson valley ny?

Thanks for the welcome. I'm learning so much from this forum! I've had red-eared sliders when my kids were little. We had a baby snapper for a year and put him back where we found him. I've had this little Russian for about 2 weeks. Love turtles but never had a tortoise. I'm tempted to get a leopard but have to control myself!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. If you do decide to get a leopard it cannot be housed with your Russian. Also don't do pairs, tortoises don't do good in pairs.

He spends most of the day outside in Tupperware storage container about 2×4. He has a hide to get out of sun. Eats a lot when outside. We've had some below 70 nights so I have another habitat inside where I put him at night. I'm confused about the humidity requirements. I have a ceramic heater over his indoor and I wet spanghum moss under his hide for the night. Should I be testing the temp and humidity under there? He can move away from heat to other side of container.