Hi from Northern CA

Turtlemamaof4

I just joined the forum and I am looking forward to all of the advice! I have a box turtle in an outdoor enclosure and last spring we got him a friend. Surprisingly we found two hatchlings on November 4th. They have been doing well indoors for the last two months and so far so good. Mom and Dad boxies are down ( dug in hibernating) outdoors until probably late March. They are both pretty friendly and comfortable with people. I can't get them to eat anything but earthworms and meal worms. Is this ok? How often should I be feeding them? The bask in a warmer light for a bit each day (not too hot) and dig down in their topsoil much of the time. What kind of plants can I put in there? Thanks for any input!image.jpgimage.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

For box turtles, I chop up a small amount of fruit and some veggies and greens, make a pile on a tile, then add some cut up night crawlers or worms, crickets, etc. on the top of the pile. As the turtle eats the worms, he also gets a bit of the fruit and veg, and eventually, over time, will become accustomed to eating those too. Here's a nice article on feeding box turtles:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-wont-eat.42397/

Turtlemamaof4

Thank you so much! That was a great article too. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on feeding hatchlings.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
HI and welcome to the forum. Your little guys a adorable. This is the place to be if you are looking for the best info for your boxes.

Turtlemamaof4

I hear hatchlings are fairly rare if you haven't prepared for them. We were certainly surprised! Anyone know how long I have to keep them separate from the big turtles?

Cali tortoise

I just joined the forum and I am looking forward to all of the advice! I have a box turtle in an outdoor enclosure and last spring we got him a friend. Surprisingly we found two hatchlings on November 4th. They have been doing well indoors for the last two months and so far so good. Mom and Dad boxies are down ( dug in hibernating) outdoors until probably late March. They are both pretty friendly and comfortable with people. I can't get them to eat anything but earthworms and meal worms. Is this ok? How often should I be feeding them? The bask in a warmer light for a bit each day (not too hot) and dig down in their topsoil much of the time. What kind of plants can I put in there? Thanks for any input!View attachment 163113View attachment 163114
Hello and welcome:)