Hi From Nashville, TN

ErnieM

Hi, I a a new guy from just outside Nashville, Tennessee. Years ago when I lived in California I kept Gopher tortoises, desert tortoises, Texas Tortoises, a little Egyptian tortoise and a bunch of box turtles. You can imagine my dismay wen I moved o Tennessee 13 years ago o find that keeping any kind of chelonian was illegal! Thankfully, that law was changed last June, so I am looking to set up a single species colony for starters. We get to below 20 degrees fairy routinely in the winter, so I imagine even Testudo sp. would not do well all year around...although we do get native Eastern Box Turtles wandering across te yard from time to time. Then, in the summer it is fairy wet and huid, so drier habitat species like Sulcatas and Leopards ugh the not fair well. So, I'm thinking Yellowfoots or Redfoots, but with the knowledge that they'll have to come in for fall and through early spring. Do my thoughts above sound about right for keeping tortoises in Middle Tennessee?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Welcome! Sounds about right. Yellow fruits and red butts are pretty popular. HAHAHAHA!
Instead of fixing that I'm just going to repeat it correctly cuz I've got to leave that there...Lol

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome. Sulcatas or leopards do fine in high humidity, but have to be kept warm enough. They would also have to come in for winter. Russians would do well there, and they hibernate for winter.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Hello and welcome. Sulcatas or leopards do fine in high humidity, but have to be kept warm enough. They would also have to come in for winter. Russians would do well there, and they hibernate for winter.

Heeeey, did you steal my tortoise?! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20160123_012544.jpg
    IMG_20160123_012544.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 9

ErnieM

Thanks, Yvonne! I actually ran across Terry already and am looking at one...or more...of his youngsters.