Hi from Maryland

Tvansant

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland, USA
A73F06F5-F46A-4E7B-AC21-0A8C2189132C.JPG Hi I'm Tracy from Maryland. Brand new to tortoise life. Glad to meet everyone and learn what I can. First thing would be to figure out what type of tortoise I have here if anyone knows?

Thanks

daniellenc

Maryland
I'm from Maryland and we don't have tortoises but box turtle possibly? Wild caught don't do all that well in captivity where did you find it?

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
In a mailbox. I think someone put him in out going mail slot. Cruel !! It's about 100 degrees here and he's so little. He wasn't doing well. He has been eating and digging in the mulchy stuff I have for him. He seems to not like the water bowl I have so I didn't think he was a turtle at all

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 14

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Was this mailbox on the ground by chance? If so it probly got stuck looking for a hiding spot. If this is a wild turtle the best thing to do is release it back close to were you found it.

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
Thanks so much !!
He, or she (my son says it's a girl) doesn't seem to look like any of those right now. Maybe because it's so small and it will grow into itself. I've been feeding tortoise food pellets. They are small pellets but I've been crushing them and soaking them. I hope that's ok. Also some fruit and veggies. I'm shocked it has bounced back and even seemed to grow.
I have no clue why a person would do what they do but I'm the finder of strays for whatever reason. This is a first for me even !! :)

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
Was this mailbox on the ground by chance? If so it probly got stuck looking for a hiding spot. If this is a wild turtle the best thing to do is release it back close to were you found it.
It's a condo mailbox up about 3 feet off the ground. It has a slot for outgoing mail and small packages and my box is under the slot so I get the residual of that slot becomes jammed

daniellenc

Maryland
The snapping turtle hatchlings on my farm look similar except the beak? I really have no clue but I promise someone will know. How long have you had it? If it's been awhile and because that's definitely a hatchling release may not end well for it. Where in Md are you? My farms in Poolesville but I live in Rockville and the hatchlings are all over our pond right now. I literally almost flipped my Gator avoiding one last week in the middle of where we take the horses in and out. I moved him out of the way but it's baby season here.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Then we have ourselves a free turtle . Be sure to check the laws in your area . Is some parts of the US you can't keep the without a permit . Being from your local its more than likely a Ordinate Box turtle. We have care sheets for them . Check it out before you buy or setup the enclosure for him .

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
The snapping turtle hatchlings on my farm look similar except the beak? I really have no clue but I promise someone will know. How long have you had it? If it's been awhile and because that's definitely a hatchling release may not end well for it. Where in Md are you? My farms in Poolesville but I live in Rockville and the hatchlings are all over our pond right now. I literally almost flipped my Gator avoiding one last week in the middle of where we take the horses in and out. I moved him out of the way but it's baby season here.
He was found July 7th. A snapping turtle !! So he/she will bite ? Eventually? I'm in odenton in a townhouse/condo community. When you say a hatching release may not end well. What does that mean ?

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
Then we have ourselves a free turtle . Be sure to check the laws in your area . Is some parts of the US you can't keep the without a permit . Being from your local its more than likely a Ordinate Box turtle. We have care sheets for them . Check it out before you buy or setup the enclosure for him .
Will do !! Especially because I thought it was a tortoise and was going to get a tortoise habitat up until about an hour ago !! Lol. And I will have to contact the state and see how to procede that all makes sense! Thanks :)

daniellenc

Maryland
It could be box turtle as well I am no expert but yes a snapping turtle will bite just ask my son who thinks they're so cute lol. Hatchlings already have it rough in the wild and frequently die so after three weeks chances are you have a new kid hehe. Just wait until someone here ID's it and worry about the setup and diet then.

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
My son wants to hold it like a kitten !!
It was too weak before. It's a lot stronger and eating a lot more !! I'm anxious for an ID ...someone has mentioned box type so far...so I can get a good foundation for it.
I guess if it bites it's not the end of the world.
I had a really mean iguana that was also a rescue that was never socialized and they can get big. Mine did. And they can take off a finger. Luckily I have all my fingers !
It's rare I find them young so I want to try to do the best I can for it

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If it's a local turtle it's a eastern box turtle hatchling. Don't let it dry out, keep it on slightly moist soil and try feeding it things that move, like small earth worms and slow moving bugs.The moisture is very important, not soaking wet just damp. They don't need to be heated with harsh lighting either.,At that age they usually spend all day hiding under things and are very seldom found out walking around in the open.

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
If it's a local turtle it's a eastern box turtle hatchling. Don't let it dry out, keep it on slightly moist soil and try feeding it things that move, like small earth worms and slow moving bugs.The moisture is very important, not soaking wet just damp. They don't need to be heated with harsh lighting either.,At that age they usually spend all day hiding under things and are very seldom found out walking around in the open.
Thanks.

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
Three toed box turtle is what I saw on your other thread and there's a care sheet here!!
Thanks! I later went back on the same thread and posted some pix as best I could. One back foot seems to be club like or like a paddle ? It's so hard to get a good pix. It's really not like the other foot at all