Hi from Malaysia

MelC

Location (City and/or State)
Sabah, Malaysia
Hello,

Thank you for allowing me to join this community. I have 4 indian stars n a new little one just hatched yesterday n have named it Faith. Her yolk sac is absorbing nicely n am keeping Faith in the incubator for now on damp paper towels with some hibiscus leaves.. 'She' had her 15 minutes soak in warm water this morning under a bit of sun n drank some water but hasn't eaten yet..Am wondering if it would be advisable to soak her again in the evening or ok to leave her in the incubator till her next soak tomorrow morning? Also, am slightly worried she may not be getting enough oxygen if left inside the incubator for too long..appreciate some advise..thank you..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from the UK

I am afraid I know very little about hatchlings.

Your incubator won't be completely sealed. The air supply should be fine. I wouldn't expect your hatchling to eat until the yolk sack is completely absorbed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

There's plenty enough oxygen inside an incubator for a baby to be able to breathe.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello,

Thank you for allowing me to join this community. I have 4 indian stars n a new little one just hatched yesterday n have named it Faith. Her yolk sac is absorbing nicely n am keeping Faith in the incubator for now on damp paper towels with some hibiscus leaves.. 'She' had her 15 minutes soak in warm water this morning under a bit of sun n drank some water but hasn't eaten yet..Am wondering if it would be advisable to soak her again in the evening or ok to leave her in the incubator till her next soak tomorrow morning? Also, am slightly worried she may not be getting enough oxygen if left inside the incubator for too long..appreciate some advise..thank you..
Mel,

Congratulations on the baby star! Is that your first star baby? Can you post some pictures of the baby and the adults? I also have some stars, but Burmese, not Indian. Eager to get my first star hatchlings, but I have hatched a few hundred other tortoises over the years.

Sounds like you are doing a lot right and having great success. There is plenty of air in the incubator and you don't need to be concerned about that. Once the eggs pip, I'm sure you check the incubator daily, so plenty of good air in there for the hatchling too. It's great to keep them in the incubator, nice and warm and humid. A daily bath in warm water, and food to get them eating is perfect. They will start to eat while absorbing the yolk sac, and exposing to different foods, and having some of their egg shell in there to eat as well is a desired practice.

There is a great post on how to incubate and start tortoises in our breeding section. Take a look at that and it will give you lots of good ideas. Here is the link for you...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Good luck with your stars, and look forward to seeing some pictures. Also, would be interested in how long you have had the stars, how old and big they are and how you keep them as you are having success. Thank you, and welcome to the forum!

Mark

MelC

Sabah, Malaysia
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the advise n encouragement. I am reading and learning a lot from the threads...actually, Hope hatched last month but only survived for 5 days as her sac was infected by the vermiculite...she was my first hatching n moved her too late to paper towels..so i was quite down n worried before Faith came..Faith is doing well on her 6th day today..she has her daily warm soaks followed by some hibiscus leaves..a bit more active each day..she is still in the incubator on paper towels as am not confident in choosing the correct substrate for her yet..her sac is completely absorbed n sealed though..am attaching a pic of her while soaking...

Her sibling Joy hatched this morning n am a bit worried as 'her' sac is much bigger and a little red in the middle..I have soaked her n kept her in the same incubator with Faith but in a separate and smaller tub..there is a picture of Joy here too..I hope she will be OK..

The 4 adults r kept in this outdoor enclosure n will post pics of them soon..we r growing the plants that r suitable for their diet in organic soil as don't really trust buying from the supermarket.. that's all for now..thanks again!

20170329_074645.jpg 20170329_063530.jpg 20170329_071844.jpg

Last edited:

MelC

Sabah, Malaysia
I found these items n was wondering if they r suitable for Faith to use? I also have a bag of compost soil which the supplier says it is considered as topsoil and is natural black soil with compost of oil palm..please advise..n thanks!

Attachments

• 20170328_170902.jpg
    20170328_170902.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20170328_170912.jpg
    20170328_170912.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 6

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Mel
The soil is out your tort will eat the perlite and not pass it ! I don't know what the other stuff is .