Hi from Malaysia.. Need Help

cmnasrul89

Hi there... i am newbie here... my friend gave me a star tortoise last week because he knew that I love turtle and tortoise.. currently i own 3 RES turtle and 1 star turtle... today i put my star in water to let her poop.. she poop a lot and i notice that there is a red thing in her poop.. like a blood.. can anyone advise what should i do.. it is hard to find vet who know about tortoise around here .. please help me... i put the poop picture below.. sorry if it is disturbing

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cmnasrul89

I got her on last sunday.. so far i feed her with salad... some times i put a few salad leaves before going to work.. her size is around 2.5".. can be that I over feed her? because her poop was long...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You stay here long enough, you'll come to realize we just love talking about and looking at pictures of POOP!!

I don't see what you're worried about in that poop.

cmnasrul89

I got her on last sunday.. so far i feed her with salad... some times i put a few salad leaves before going to work.. her size is around 2.5".. can be that I over feed her? because her poop was long...

Opss sorry.. it is lettuce actually.. since I got this tortoise by surprise, I do not have a proper preparation.. been doing research on their diet and habitat on this week...currently, I use paper as temporary bedding and feed her Romaine Lettuce every day.. I am thinking to use coconut pleat substrate as bedding.. do you think it is a good idea? or do you have any other suggestion. I will be going to reptile store tomorrow to get UVB light and other supplies.. Appreciate if you could give more suggestion on their Diet and Habitat before I go to pet store tomorrow....

cmnasrul89

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You stay here long enough, you'll come to realize we just love talking about and looking at pictures of POOP!!

I don't see what you're worried about in that poop.

Well maybe the photos was not clear enough for you to see but there is a blood spot in her poop.. I edit the photo a lil bit for you..

Attachments

• IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 25

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. A beautiful tortoise. The poop looks fine to me. Romaine is not a great choice. It has very little nutrition. Weeds and leaves are the best. Check out the care guide in the species specific section. Not sure what is in the Star section, but the leopard info is very similar I am pretty sure. Someone will correct me, if I am wrong.

cmnasrul89

Welcome to the forum. A beautiful tortoise. The poop looks fine to me. Romaine is not a great choice. It has very little nutrition. Weeds and leaves are the best. Check out the care guide in the species specific section. Not sure what is in the Star section, but the leopard info is very similar I am pretty sure. Someone will correct me, if I am wrong.

Hi Jodie.. Thanks for the advise.. I will check the care guide..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be careful at the pet store. They usually sell people all the wrong stuff. Don't let them sell you coil bulbs for UV, or ramped water bowls, or dry substrate that you can't dampen, or sand, or red light bulbs, or "infra red" light bulbs, etc…

This says its for leopards and sulcatas, but I house my stars exactly the same in every way:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Please also read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This one was typed up for sulcatas too, but if you just skip all the text and scroll down, there is a good list of foods to feed. Stars can have some grass, but they don't need anywhere near as much as sulcatas.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

You've got to feed more than just lettuce as soon as possible.

Please ask lots of questions. We are happy to help. And your little star is beautiful and very healthy looking.

cmnasrul89

Be careful at the pet store. They usually sell people all the wrong stuff. Don't let them sell you coil bulbs for UV, or ramped water bowls, or dry substrate that you can't dampen, or sand, or red light bulbs, or "infra red" light bulbs, etc…

This says its for leopards and sulcatas, but I house my stars exactly the same in every way:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Please also read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This one was typed up for sulcatas too, but if you just skip all the text and scroll down, there is a good list of foods to feed. Stars can have some grass, but they don't need anywhere near as much as sulcatas.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

You've got to feed more than just lettuce as soon as possible.

Please ask lots of questions. We are happy to help. And your little star is beautiful and very healthy looking.

Hi Tom... Thanks a lot for your advice...appreciate it very much...

Daylan Landry

New Hampshire USA
Salam W'Akum...apa kabar, ni Aishah la :)
Welcome to this group, I am also new here. Do you speak Malay? We can converse in Malay if you wish. My husband is from Trengganu Malaysia! Looking forward to your reply!
Salam

cmnasrul89

Hi Tom... Thanks a lot for your advice...appreciate it very much...

Hi Tom,

I am considering to give my star pellet food once a week as additional food and I found Exo Terra Soft pallet at nearby pet store. However, I am confuse whether Star tortoise is Forest Tortoise or European Tortoise as there are two types of pallet available for both tortoise. Based on Star natural habitat, i suppose they can be considered as forest tortoise. I have not bought it yet and would like your opinion. Can see the product photos below

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 8

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Tom,

I am considering to give my star pellet food once a week as additional food and I found Exo Terra Soft pallet at nearby pet store. However, I am confuse whether Star tortoise is Forest Tortoise or European Tortoise as there are two types of pallet available for both tortoise. Based on Star natural habitat, i suppose they can be considered as forest tortoise. I have not bought it yet and would like your opinion. Can see the product photos below
From those two I would choose the European one. However, having looked at Exo Terra's website, I'm not entirely happy with either.

By forest tortoises, I assume they mean tortoises like Red Footed which can have fruit in their diet.

They suggest moistening the Eurpean pellets with fruit juice which is not good for European tortoises as they cannot digest sugars easily. Sulcatas should be on minimal fruit too, so I assume from Tom's comment that this also applies to Stars

cmnasrul89

From those two I would choose the European one. However, having looked at Exo Terra's website, I'm not entirely happy with either.

By forest tortoises, I assume they mean tortoises like Red Footed which can have fruit in their diet.

They suggest moistening the Eurpean pellets with fruit juice which is not good for European tortoises as they cannot digest sugars easily. Sulcatas should be on minimal fruit too, so I assume from Tom's comment that this also applies to Stars

Hi JoesMum,

Thank you for the response. It is quiet difficult to find variety greens for my Star. Many of the mentioned grass and greens in the care sheet I cannot find in the grocery store other than lettuce and kale (maybe it call by different names in Malay language). That is why i consider the pallet food as they have nutrients for my Star.