Hi From A New Russian Tortoise Owner

Miles

Location (City and/or State)
London UK
Good Evening Tortoise Forum,

My name is Miles,

I am very new to owning a tortoise.

I have a little baby Russian Tortoise. It was a gift for easter.

I have tried my best by reading up and making changes to the original equipment and bits that he/she came with.

E.g Changed the substrate to sand/soil mix from wood chips. Threw out the reptile dish and got a saucer for water.

Currently bathing daily to keep him/her Hydrated and feeding mix of weeds and greens.

Love being a new Tortoise owner and looking forward to learning and caring for my little tortoise Digby!!

Attached is the little man/girl and his enclosure.

Any tips appreciated!!

Miles
IMG_2484.JPG IMG_2494.jpg

ethan508

Northern Utah

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Miles .

You've an adorable little tort. GOD bless.

Please start by reading the "Beginners Mistake" Thread, then don't hesitate to ask questions if in need of help.

Make sure your cute tort is warm, particularly in London which is so cold.

Good luck!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome from another Russian owner!

Lots of members from the UK here, when you're trying to find a vet or figure out what local foods are safe for your tortoise.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Two things...digital Thermometer/hygrometers are better(more accurate) than that button type you have. Temp measuring is really important for babies especially. The sides are two short and need raised. Eventually the little guy is going to climb right up the corner at the lamp cord or at the plant. You can temporarily put triangular pieces of wood over corners to stop that from happening...have fun with new baby...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 4

GingerLove

5 Year Member
What a CUTE baby Russian! Take my word for it, you'll never regret getting a Russian! They never stop surprising you with their "attitude"! :)

Miles

London UK
Two things...digital Thermometer/hygrometers are better(more accurate) than that button type you have. Temp measuring is really important for babies especially. The sides are two short and need raised. Eventually the little guy is going to climb right up the corner at the lamp cord or at the plant. You can temporarily put triangular pieces of wood over corners to stop that from happening...have fun with new baby...

Thanks. I do have a temp gun to keep an eye on the temp. One end sits at 32c and the other 20-22c.

Ye I was thinking that. For the moment the Mrs is happy as the enclosure matches the furniture, I will upgrade him as he gets bigger :)

Miles

London UK

Miles

London UK
What a CUTE baby Russian! Take my word for it, you'll never regret getting a Russian! They never stop surprising you with their "attitude"! :)

In the short time we have had him/her they are now part of the family. :)

Miles

London UK
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Miles .

You've an adorable little tort. GOD bless.

Please start by reading the "Beginners Mistake" Thread, then don't hesitate to ask questions if in need of help.

Make sure your cute tort is warm, particularly in London which is so cold.

Good luck!

Been reading loads and this was one of the threads I started with. Thanks for the advice.

JaymeFrances

Oxford, UK
I'm a new tortoise owner too, your little one is lovely! These guys have helped me loads so far ☺