hi everyone!

lauraen8210

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello, my son was given a Russian tortoise as a Christmas gift. I've just been doing lots of research and learning everything I can about our new little family member when I came across this forum. I'm not sure how old he is but he's pretty small. I'll post a picture tomorrow

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi, this is the best place to be to ensure the wellbeing of your tortoise. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483337758.953802.jpg
Please share a few pictures of your little one and his/her enclosure so that we could help you better.

lauraen8210

Oregon
Just took a few pictures. He/ she( not sure yet) is asleep right now. He doesn't seem to like the hideaway and instead sleeps facing the corner like that. How does the enclosure look? 20170101_222016.jpg 20170101_222000.jpg 20170101_222016.jpg 20170101_222000.jpg 20161225_095423.jpg

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Looks good to me, but more experienced members will be able to give you a few pointers. What bulbs are you using and what are the temperatures?

BILBO-03

Hi and Welcome!:) I would say your enclosure is too small, and what heating and lighting do you have? Also can you get him any outside time? But your food and water dish are the right kind!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi and Welcome!:) I would say your enclosure is too small, and what heating and lighting do you have? Also can you get him any outside time? But your food and water dish are the right kind!

That's not to small for that size tortoise, in the future it will need an upgrade.

I would add some plants to make it more interesting to the tort

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lauraen, and welcome to the Forum!

Your "Little" russian tortoise is not as young as you think. It is a small species, and is almost full grown. I would guestimate his age at around 8 or 10 years.

Your habitat is ok, but bigger would be better. And the orientation of the light support would be better across the length rather than across the width like it is. That way you could cover more of the enclosure with heat/light. A few plants, either real or fake, would also go a long way towards making that a better habitat.

In my opinion, because tortoises are wild animals (not domesticated), tortoises belong outside. I realize that due to weather constraints, this isn't always possible, so the next best thing is to bring the outside indoors. Your tortoise needs enough room to wander. Walking a lot aids in digestion. Also, because Russian tortoises are hard-wired to wander great distances searching for food, it is stressful to them to be contained in a too small enclosure. Your enclosure is ok for the rest of this winter, but be thinking about setting him up outside when the weather gets better. Then next winter he can hibernate, eliminating the need for an indoor enclosure at all.

Loosely stuff some sphagnum moss inside the hiding place, then every night place him in there under the moss. He'll soon get the idea.

Please tell us what kind of lights/heat you're using, what the temperature is at different locations all over the floor of the habitat and what types of food you're offering?

lauraen8210

Oregon
Thanks everyone and thanks for the suggestions. The lights are 100 watt uvb day and night, that's what they suggested at the pet store. They also said we couldn't tell the gender yet because it's too young still so I'm surprised to hear he or she might be 8- 10 years old! I've been feeding him spring mix salad and I also got some collard and mustard greens. We definitely plan on taking him outside during summer! We have been letting him roam around our apartment a bit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The light needs to be turned off at night. They need a light/dark cycle just as we do. And yes, you most certainly CAN tell if that's a male or female tortoise. My guess is male, but if you'll take a picture of the tail for us we can tell you for sure.

lauraen8210

Oregon
The light needs to be turned off at night. They need a light/dark cycle just as we do. And yes, you most certainly CAN tell if that's a male or female tortoise. My guess is male, but if you'll take a picture of the tail for us we can tell you for sure.
One of the lights is a black heat lamp, very dim, should that be turned off at night? I've been alternating the lights, the bright one during day and the black one at night.

lauraen8210

Oregon
20170102_091304.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of the lights is a black heat lamp, very dim, should that be turned off at night? I've been alternating the lights, the bright one during day and the black one at night.

That's fine. I use black lights at night too. However, if your house doesn't get all that cold at night, you really don't need night time heat with him. Say 70F degrees or so?

That's a female tail.

lauraen8210

Oregon
That's fine. I use black lights at night too. However, if your house doesn't get all that cold at night, you really don't need night time heat with him. Say 70F degrees or so?

That's a female tail.
Thank you so I much, I appreciate the info and advice!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Lauraen, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Careful with him roaming the apartment. Drafts and temperatures cannot be monitored or maintained and objects can be consumed and cause trouble. Even dust bunnies can be deadly. We've had tortoises on the forum who've been trodden on or even caught in doors. Not safe.