Hi everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello! I'm Bubu :)

I'm very new to tortoises, I don't have one yet but my boyfriend and I are thinking about it. We're just not sure what to get! He want's something that needs a big water area (like a red eared slider, which is a turtle right? Not a tortoise?) and I want one that can roam around my house, like a Russian or similiar. I've been looking at Russians and Sulcattas, I think I'd be better off with a russian, simply because Sulcattas get so big, but like I said we're just not sure yet. I currently live in Michigan but will be moving to Virginia soon, so we can't get anything yet (I have enough pets to transport lol) but I'm really looking forward to having one!

I've been trying to do some research on them, and thus far the only problems and confusion I've encountered is enclosures (how big it should be, what it should be, etc) and heating and lighting. So I hope to find my answers here! :D

And just a little bit about myself, I have a dog (who I can't take with me unfortunatly :( ), 3 hermit crabs, 3 guinea pigs, and about 30 or more fish. I like critters :D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Hello and welcome. Your question of turtle (aquatic) vs tortoise (terrestrial) concerns two different types of husbandry. Turtles would require large water area (I consider 100 gallons the minimum for one turtle) and heavy duty filtration system. For a small tortoise (i.e. testudo genus) I think a 24 square foot area the minimum. Of course both require appriate heat, lighting, and substrate. I don't think either should be allowed to wander the floor (one reason is neither housebreak and they get, the larger the mess). You have come to a great place for research and "pick'in brains".

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
welcome. feel free to ask as many questions as you may have.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome Bubu. I would suggest you research Mercury Vapor Bulbs. (Mega Ray or T-Rex or a similar brand)
http://www.russiantortoise.org/uvb.htm and Ceramic Heat Emitters. Setups can be as expensive as you are willing to spend. Or there are a lot of home made project that cost lots less. I commend you for doing your research first. Read through this forum Lots of good info here. Again Welcome.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome Bubu! Wow those are three really different turtles/tortoises. This is the place to get great info, so ask away!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Sorry you can't take your dog with you. I can't imagine having to give up one of mine. They are so much a part of the family. Nice to have you joining us.:)

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum, Bubu! I commend you for doing research before purchasing your shelled friend :). When properly cared for, these creatures can outlive you! I find my kids asking me all the time what are you going to do with all those tortoises when you die? I keep telling them hopefully I will have grandchildren who share my love for these wonderful animals :D

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi Bubu and welcome to the forum.

Bubu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks everybody! It's my goal to learn as much as I can about different species, I always do an insane amount of research before I get any critter lol :) What would you guys suggest as a good "beginner" tortoise, if there is such a thing?

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Bubu said:
Thanks everybody! It's my goal to learn as much as I can about different species, I always do an insane amount of research before I get any critter lol :) What would you guys suggest as a good "beginner" tortoise, if there is such a thing?

A Russian tortoise is definately a good starter tortoise. They don't get any bigger than 8-9 inches, are very personable, easy to care for and a pretty hardy species. Leopard tortoises are very hardy as well, but they get quite big, which will mean a bigger enclosure area. Do you have any species in mind that you want to get?

Bubu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I actually don't know any other species except for Russians and Sulcattas, and Russians are really the only ones I've been doing the research on. I also want to find a breeder since I don't want a petstore one, but like I said I'm not really sure of other species.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
A russian tort is a great starter tort. They have lots of personality and are pretty easy to take care of. Plus, size is not an issue like it is with sulcatas or leopards. I think it is a smart way to go!

MossyCrkHerp

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am new to the Forum as well!
Welcome- you will enjoy yourself here- very nice group:)

Shana

Status
Not open for further replies.