Hi everyone! ;)

Myroli

I didn't know it was illegal either. But I do know the&$?@ storm that starts over the controversy. And I agree that it doesn't slow down there hunting if they were hunters to begin with. They amputate the last joint which the client is in. And there is a recovery. Where I'm sure there is pain, it would be ignorant to think there isn't. But I had it done when the animals were under anesthesia to be spayed or neutered. It is much harder on adult cats then kittens. I probably wouldn't have it done on an adult cat.
But there are a lot of ways to train a cat to scratch where you want it to. Look those up and you will find something that will work I'm sure.
I don't know how your cats were declawed, maybe the the method has changed? Because like 3 years ago I got to help with spay/neutering on some recently adopted kittens and one got declawed, they just extend the claw and cut at the base, she didn't even need stitches just wrapped them up for a week

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
No, cats need to sharpen their claws and kneading and clawing is instinctual. You can't train it out. In my thirty years with cats, they've confined themselves to using the wicker hampers. None used the cat scratchers.

Declawing cats is illegal some places. The toes are amputated at the first joint, a very painful process. There are claw caps available instead. I don't know how well they work.

I've lived with two cats that had been declawed before they came to me. Both were excellent hunters. So you can't assume that a declawed cat is harmless to a tortoise, especially a small one.

Over the years all my cars have been "trained" not to expect breakfast until I get up, and not to climb the house plants. That's about it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No, cats need to sharpen their claws and kneading and clawing is instinctual. You can't train it out. In my thirty years with cats, they've confined themselves to using the wicker hampers. None used the cat scratchers.

Declawing cats is illegal some places. The toes are amputated at the first joint, a very painful process. There are claw caps available instead. I don't know how well they work.

I've lived with two cats that had been declawed before they came to me. Both were excellent hunters. So you can't assume that a declawed cat is harmless to a tortoise, especially a small one.

Over the years all my cars have been "trained" not to expect breakfast until I get up, and not to climb the house plants. That's about it.
Hi and thank you very much your advice. These posts are only making me more and more hesitant on getting a cat/kitten, as I can tell that a cat could harm a tort even if the cat's been declawed. At the same time, we all know that torts are not of much 'company' so as to speak. Sorry everyone.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Hi and thank you very much your advice. These posts are only making me more and more hesitant on getting a cat/kitten, as I can tell that a cat could harm a tort even if the cat's been declawed. At the same time, we all know that torts are not of much 'company' so as to speak. Sorry everyone.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know how your cats were declawed, maybe the the method has changed? Because like 3 years ago I got to help with spay/neutering on some recently adopted kittens and one got declawed, they just extend the claw and cut at the base, she didn't even need stitches just wrapped them up for a week
It was about four or five years ago. So maybe techniques have changed, that's good.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sorry to make you more hesitant. Definitely wasn't my goal. There's no issue anyway as long as you keep the tortoise and cat separated. Your tortoise shouldn't be roaming the house and you can always cover the enclosure to keep the cat out. No problems.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to make you more hesitant. Definitely wasn't my goal. There's no issue anyway as long as you keep the tortoise and cat separated. Your tortoise shouldn't be roaming the house and you can always cover the enclosure to keep the cat out. No problems.
I didn't mean your posts here, so please do not take my words personal. I meant the posts I receive in general as far as this subject is concerned. Ok?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It was about four or five years ago. So maybe techniques have changed, that's good.
There's a lot of info available. Vets downplay it, but it's an amputation. If done with lasers, then it has less bleeding, but bone, tendons & ligaments are all cut. Whether it's done with lasers or clippers or a scalpel, it's an amputation.

Myroli

There's a lot of info available. Vets downplay it, but it's an amputation. If done with lasers, then it has less bleeding, but bone, tendons & ligaments are all cut. Whether it's done with lasers or clippers or a scalpel, it's an amputation.
The one I helped with used a scalpel and there was almost no bleeding, they had used one of those rubber things doctors use when drawing blood to cut off the blood flow and then cauterized it.