Hi Everyone. I am new to the Tortoise world

Tuesday D'Eon

Location (City and/or State)
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hi, I am new to the Tortoise world planning on buying my first one . Would love any help. I am having a hard time deciding which one to buy as a beginner. I have had red sliders all my life. But fell in love with a Sulcata about a month ago.. I am also looking for one In the Toronto, Ontario area. Thanks for allowing me to become a member.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

If it were me, living in Canada, I wouldn't get a sulcata. It's pretty hard to keep them happy indoors. It would be like having a cow in your living room. Best to start with a smaller species, like a Russian or Greek.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Welcome! If you do decide to go with something other than a sulcata, many of us can attest how great Russians are!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). If your heart is set on a sulcata, and there are any available there in Canada, just be sure that you have the room and funds to build a big winter enclosure and to heat it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and welcome to the forum.
They let anyone join here you know. Lots of reprobates among our knowledgeable tortoise keepers.
It's the best place there is for getting up to date tortoise advice.
I'm an advocate of greeks myself, lovely, curious creatures which are comparatively small and easy to keep.
Whatever you decide, all the information and help you need is here.
Good luck.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks everyone Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I fell in love with a Sulcata about a month ago. I should of said I am Looking for a Tortoise of any kind to start my new adventure just not sure which one to buy yet. I have a hobby and collect and rescue Sting rays.
That's quite an amazing hobby, I love sharks and rays in general and used to look after a blonde ray.
Smashing creatures.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Welcome! You've come to the right place to get valuable tortoise information, that is for sure! Sting Rays in Canada, who would have thought?! Very cool!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks everyone Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I fell in love with a Sulcata about a month ago. I should of said I am Looking for a Tortoise of any kind to start my new adventure just not sure which one to buy yet. I have a hobby and collect and rescue Sting rays.
Welcome to TFO! :D I hope you enjoy it here. It's a great community, full of knowledgable members. I prefer Greeks. They are great for starters. Sulcatas are great too; they are huge though. Have a nice day (or evening). :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Are you thinking about a baby or a adult . Don't forget you can adopt or buy . Everybody is saying Russian and Greek . But don't forget about the others . Like Hermanns , marginals . I have Russians , Greeks , marginals , Hermans , and Evan Pancakes . And don't rule out box turtles to fast . But good luck with all your choices . And have a great tort day !

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Hi, I'm in ohio and just got my Leopard and 2 Burmese black mountain torts in the last few months. They were my firsts. I only got these big guys because I like big animals AND i'm planning a big move south next year. I may get a pancake sometime. they look sooo cute! Welcome to the forum. If I had advise for a fellow newbie it would be to buy an older tortoise first since the humidity requirements of the baies are kind of a pain in the b***. :)

looma

I'm also newone, buying my first one tomorrow. Hope will find valuable info here.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
That sulcata you fell in love with? How big was it?

Save yourself the heartache of having to rehome one later and get one of the smaller Mediterranean tortoises. They are charming and easier to keep indoors over the long winters.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi from Wales UK don't know what I'd do without all the info and support from these lovely people. I have a leopard which I fell for when I was a half way house for it after it was found last summer and we've been stuck with each since! They are pretty things but don't hibernate so need high temps all year round and in colder climates they usually end up being indoors for half the year, so consider facts like that when choosing. My bills have been sky high over winter! Good luck with whatever you choose.