Hi everybody

fbolzicco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Monica CA
Hi to all the forum, I'm a tortoise keeper who just moved from Italy to Los Angeles.
I have no turtles by now here but I still love talking about.
In italy I bred many species as g elegans, s pardalis, c sulcata, a radiata, c carbonaria, and t hermanni as well.
In italy we have a strong and bureaucracy inefficient legislation about CITES, and I actually don't know how does it works here in US, what about cites documents? what about restriction?

I'm also co-owner of one of the most popular website and forum about tortoises and other reptiles in Italy, and I think I can share a lot of info and care sheets about tortoises, just translated in english, I don't know if you are interested in. Just let me know.

many thanks

Fabio

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm also co-owner of one of the most popular website and forum about tortoises and other reptiles in Italy, and I think I can share a lot of info and care sheets about tortoises, just translated in english, I don't know if you are interested in. Just let me know.

Absolutely! Welcome to the Forum :D

fbolzicco

5 Year Member
Santa Monica CA
You all will find very interesting infos in it, especially about testudo ssp. I saw you love it.
I already wrote to tortoise forum Admin, just waiting his permit, I know sometimes it can be annoying reading link about other websites without permit

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Fabio and welcome to the TFO
Nice to meet you your pass list looks like my present list if you get the papers in English I'd love to read. Them
And again very nice to meet you

fbolzicco

5 Year Member
Santa Monica CA
Thank you all for welcome messages, I will give you all the papers as soon as the admin will give me the permission. it will be a pleasure for me :)

someone can answer to my questions?
I'm not planning to get some turtles by now, maybe a little cage with uromastyx, because of my small apt here.. but maybe next year, and I would like to be ready for that moment, what about legislation here in the US?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Fabio, and welcome to the Forum!!

The only permit you need to keep tortoises in California is for the native tortoise - Gopherus agassizii. You can legally keep any tortoise you can buy in a pet store here. If you want to buy something like a Galapagos or radiated, you would have to buy it in California, otherwise you need a permit to ship it across state lines.

fbolzicco

5 Year Member
Santa Monica CA
Thank you Yvonne, so..
I only need time and a bigger home, nothing else.

In Italy there is a huge and nasty legislation about turtles in CITES, and bureaucracy does't work, that's why I'm asking you this questions.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Hi Fabio! Welcome to TFO and to LaLaLand. You came to right place if you love chelonians. Best forum ever. Lots of Southern California tortoise fans.
But also a lots of worldwide tortoise geeks who share and educate. You will love. And your English is fine, no worries. : )

fbolzicco

5 Year Member
Santa Monica CA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Hi Fabio! Welcome to TFO and to LaLaLand. You came to right place if you love chelonians. Best forum ever. Lots of Southern California tortoise fans.
But also a lots of worldwide tortoise geeks who share and educate. You will love. And your English is fine, no worries. : )

Thank you so much, which species are the best to keep outdoor yearound here in California? I mean all turtles but testudo ssp.

another question Is someone going to the reptile super show in San Diego next weekend?
I'm planning to get there to buy my first 100% american reptile :D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
You are funny Fabio. We are a Mediterranean climate like your beautiful country, so .... ALL of them pretty much. Now, I am not an expert, but I think that is what the experts would say. Southern California rocks for tortoise keepers. We are a happy place for them, with TFO member tortoise keepers, even better. : )

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome, Fabio, both to LA and to TFO. Where in Italy are you from?

I live in LA and keep two California desert torts. We have terrific tortoise weather here.