Hey Everybody!

Siviter

Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Hey,

I'm a new keeper from Worcester, UK with two little Hermann tortoises. I'm new to the game and will be pestering all of you wise tortoise whisperers for information.

Thanks in advance.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!!! You will enjoy learning new things on TFO everyday!! We love pics!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

About your avatar - you're probably on a board, however, your form looks perfect for performing figures on ice skates.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hi Siviter, welcome! :)
I'm also new with two baby hermanns, they are amazing creatures. :tort:
When did you get your second, in the other thread you mention only one?

Siviter

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

About your avatar - you're probably on a board, however, your form looks perfect for performing figures on ice skates.

I was trying to balance along the wall in Opera Bar in Sydney if I remember rightly, the result of too many Southern Comfort and Lemonades I think :p

Siviter

Hi Siviter, welcome! :)
I'm also new with two baby hermanns, they are amazing creatures. :tort:
When did you get your second, in the other thread you mention only one?

I picked the other one up shortly afterwards, they're so damn cute!

I'm still learning and I get worried at the smallest things trying to get it right. Temperatures, habitat, diet and the worst is the poop...

"Ah! a sticky poop!" or "Ah! a hard poop!" or "Ah! a white poop!" :p

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I'm still learning and I get worried at the smallest things trying to get it right.
I understand you sooo well.
I thought I would have some time to relax when they are brumating, but now I sometimes even get up at night and run out into the snow to check their temperature. :eek:
It's a wonderful hobby, isn't it? :p

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Siviter welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Hermanns Rule ! They are great torts .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420495078.938462.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome. You don't have to hibernate them. It is a debatable topic, but many don't.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Welcome. You don't have to hibernate them. It is a debatable topic, but many don't.
I was very surprised by those discussions, I didn't even know it was possible to keep them awake for years without doing serious harm to them.

In Middle Europe (or at least in german speaking countrys) it's absolutely normal to brumate tortoises. Those that keep them awake are only pleople without any knowledge at all about husbandry (keeping them in a dry little box without uvb, feeding them with dogfood,...), so of course every tortoise without brumation gets ill...

For me it was out of the question anyway, since brumation is required by law. But I'm pretty sure my hatchlings will wake up alive and healthy in spring. ;)

Siviter

I was very surprised by those discussions, I didn't even know it was possible to keep them awake for years without doing serious harm to them.

In Middle Europe (or at least in german speaking countrys) it's absolutely normal to brumate tortoises. Those that keep them awake are only pleople without any knowledge at all about husbandry (keeping them in a dry little box without uvb, feeding them with dogfood,...), so of course every tortoise without brumation gets ill...

For me it was out of the question anyway, since brumation is required by law. But I'm pretty sure my hatchlings will wake up alive and healthy in spring. ;)

Interesting that its required by law; how do they enforce it?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Not at all, they have no way to controll it and even if they knew, I don't think it would have any consequences. But that's a pitty, because there are so many tortoises dying slowly and painfully because of completely wrong husbandry.
(I hope that will change with time. Since every owner has to register exotic pets like tortoises - well, not everyone does it... - the veterinary inspection office can do random inspections and I heard they have really started doing this in the last few years.)

Maybe that's why everyone here says brumation is necessary. Most people put them in an outdoor enclosure in summer, where they automatically have moisture, uvb and weeds to eat, The worst mistakes can only be done in an indoor enclosure (and they have to be indoors during winter, if you don't let them brumate).