Herman's Tortoise ill

Kyleb43

Hello Everyone,

In may I got a hermans tort named Phil. I have not had any issues with him so far but the other day I noticed that he was not opening his eyes and has stopped eating. He sleeps all day and when he does walk around he does so with his eyes closed. I am not sure if I should take him to the vet or if he is sick at all. I keep him on a diet of Greens, Dandelions, Clovers and the occasional honeysuckle. He lives indoors and has a substrate of coco fiber and has some sphagnum moss in the side of his cage. Below are some pictures of my tort and his encloshure. Should I take him to the vet or is he not sick at all?

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG

Kyleb43

Under the heat lamp it is about 100f rest of the cage gets as low as 80f, humidity is about 60-75% depending on the day. For UVB zoo med reptisun 10.0UBV mini fluorescent lamp 13 watt

Location (City and/or State)
Newark, DE
Hi Kyleb43! I'm not an expert but I do think that a lot of the experts on here warn against those bulbs because apparently they can really hurt a torts eyes. I'm not sure if anyone messaged you privately, but just in case they did not, here is what I would do - get rid of the bulb asap and replace it with either a tube type light or an MVB. Some people have said that MVBs are too strong for little hatchlings so I will let the experts speak to that - all i can say is that what I use. Soak him in warm water for at least 10 to 20 minutes every day. If he's not eating, try soaking him in water mixed with pedialyte or take a jar of baby carrots and mix that with a jar of warm water and soak him in that. Also, the enclosure looks a little dry to me - are you wetting the substrate regularly? Again - not an expert by any means, but I've read so many posts from the experts on here (which have always helped me) - I think this is what most would recommend. I hope he's doing okay.
Bobbi