Hermann's Tortoises Not Eating

darrenaudet

Hello,

I am new to posting on this forum, but would really appreciate some advice on two Hermann's tortoises that I keep with me in the Middle East. Both were exported from England 4 years ago and up until the last 3-4 weeks, have been very healthy with good weight. The female is about 10 years old (I have had her for 7 years). The male was hatched in my house in England in Dec 2010 by a different mother.

I gave them to a friend to look after at the end of May whilst I went on leave. After returning 3 weeks later, both tortoises looked badly dehydrated. They were listless with sunken eyes, half closed and had lost weight. Previously, there had been no issues with the minder, who was always attentive.

Immediately, they were bathed in shallow water and warm baths were repeated every few hours. As they had not recovered by the following day, I made a hydrating bath for them by adding salt, baking soda and sugar. Another day later and they had still not recovered. Red spots began to appear on the small male where the skin meets the plastron and the larger female started gasping for air with respiratory noises. My suspicion was that she had contracted pneumonia as a result of the high temperatures (estimated 33 deg consistently throughout day and night.). The temperature in my home where they are kept is 28 deg during the day and 22-24 deg at night. I suspected that the male might have contracted septicaemia.

After 2-3 days with no improvement, I took them to a Vet, who administered an antibiotic (Enrofloxacin) subcutaneously to each tortoise followed by the recommended daily dosage of Baytril for a further 9 days. During this period, each tortoise was force-fed their normal salad mix via a syringe (i.e., "smoothie"). Seven days of this procedure was performed in the Vet hospital. Upon returning home 3 days ago, each tortoise was breathing more or less normally, no red spots but would not eat.

I continue to force feed each tortoise but have added Exo Terra Calcium + D3 vitamin supplement (via syringe) to stimulate the eating. Additionally, I will pick up some Vitamin B12 this afternoon.

One complication that arose just 18 hours ago is that the smaller male tortoise, after showing signs of recovery and alertness, began breathing difficulties with neck stretching and gurgling just 10 min after the calcium drink. This continued throughout the night but the gasping reduced in frequency and intensity, but worsened again after the calcium feed (1 ml) via syringe this morning.

I would very much welcome any advice as I am running out of ideas. Has the male possibly inhaled some calcium or feeding fluid? (although it was given slowly over 1 minute). In the meantime, I will look at gut impaction with the possibility of parasites, but there is limited veterinary knowledge of Chelonia where I live.

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I hope your torts are better! I'll bump your post so hopefully someone who can help you will see it.

Best wishes!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
They may have aspirated some fluids when you were force feeding them. I would suggest putting them in separate enclosures and trying to feed them some of their favorite foods. No fruit, just good healthy greens. Antibiotics can make animals not want to eat. Soak them daily. More people should be along soon to give more suggestions. I hope your tortoises start to feel better soon.