Hermanns tortoise

ltucker93

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so hope I'm posting in the right place!
I have a 3 1/2 year old male Hermanns tortoise which I've had since he was about 3.

Today I also got a female hermanns so he could have some company. I didn't realise at the time she's been imported from Macedonia when she was younger, if I'd realised I wouldn't have got her plus I travelled 300 miles to pick her up!!! She's now five and apparently hasn't had any health problems! I will quarantine her and also get her checked at the vets.

I wanted some advice on what I should do. My other torts from the UK and I don't want him to pick up any diseases. Is it worth introducing them after quarantine/vet check or is it best to keep them separate and look at rehoming her?

Thanks
Lauren

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lauren, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't know much about the Hermanns tortoises, but if they're anything like the Russian tortoises, it won't do to have only one female for the male. Its better to have two or three females per one male. Otherwise the male pesters the female until she stays hidden all the time and maybe gets sick and dies.

I don't think you have to worry, health-wise, after a quarantine period, but I would keep that quarantine habitat set up in case you need to separate them due to over-breeding.

ltucker93

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for your quick reply! :)

Yes I was planning on keeping both tortoise tables so I can separate them for a few days a week! I've read about what a nightmare the males can be!!

Which tortoise species do you have?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Lauren welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Wish you luck and Hermann s are a great choice !