Hermann's Tortoise

Chris913

Hello,

I have a one year old hermanns tortoise that I've had since it was two months old. Down the line i am hoping to breed tortoises, or just have a lot, and I am wanting to but another hatchling to raise it with. I am aware of territory issues, and since they are young enough, I wont have to worry about mating and attacks for some time. I want to buy a hermanns from a different vendor that I got mine from so I can avoid inbreeding. I have read about how some tortoises have diseases or parasites that they can deal with, but if they come into contact with another tortoise, that parasite or disease might harm or even kill them. My question is this, if I buy a hermanns tortoise from a different breeder, will I have to worry about infections and health problems? (The tortoises are captive-breed, and I shouldn't have to worry about things picked up from the wild).

Thanks,
Chris

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What you've described refers to different species being put together. Two hermanni isn't a problem, however it would still be prudent to quarantine for at lease 3 months.

Chris913

What you've described refers to different species being put together. Two hermanni isn't a problem, however it would still be prudent to quarantine for at lease 3 months.

Thanks for the feedback.

What would i look for when I quarantine them? (If you know)

Thanks,
Chris

Deb82

5 Year Member
It's not really about what to look for, it's more about ensuring that the new tort is healthy; If there is any external parasites, breathing problems arise, lethargy ( more than just the time it takes for the new tort to adjust to a new environment) etc. if after about 3 months, the new tort is happy and healthy you can try to introduce the two together. Always be mindful that problems could arise that would make it necessary to separate them for good.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Two is a bad number, a trio 1 male and 2 females live better together. Also with getting a hatchling there is no guarantee of gender.