Hermann's Tortoise Hatchling

Sawyer Rae

Location (City and/or State)
West Coast USA
Hello!
I'm new to the forum, and new to owning tortoises!
I bought my Hermann's tortoise hatchling on Thursday January 22nd, and although he was tired, he did eat a little bit of lettuce.
I have mixed greens salad mix for him with lots of different kinds of lettuce that I have researched and learned are fine for tortoises, but as of today (the day after I got him) he seems to not want to eat. I soaked him yesterday and today, and left some food in his enclosure, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
I know that new pets can sometimes be in "shock" and don't want to eat after arriving in their new home for the first few days, but I'm just curious if this is common or if there is something I can do to fix it.
I try to also feed him pellets with calcium and fiber and vitamins, but I have also ordered a vitamin/calcium dust to put on his greens, and I plan on buying a cactus plant or growing weeds (such as dandelions etc).
He is also pretty active; he climbs on his log hideout and walks around his home and occasionally buries himself (usually just when his light is off at night).
What do you guys suggest I do? Wait it out and leave food in his habitat (changing it periodically), or is there something else I should try?
Thanks for the help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It may take a couple days for him to settle in. You can contact the person you got the tortoise from and find out what he is used to eating, then feed him the same thing. Sometimes new tortoises don't recognise different edibles as 'food.'

In the meantime, go to the Hermann's section and read the care sheet that's pinned at the top of that section.

Sawyer Rae

West Coast USA
Hello!
I bought my hatchling yesterday (Thursday Jan 22nd) and although I'm still sort of improving his home, I'm looking for opinions and advice.
I don't have any pictures at the moment, so I'll have to be descriptive:
He's in a big black tub I bought from Home Depot, with a UVA/UVB lamp (not coil) on one end and nothing on the other. I use Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Fiber Reptile Substrate from PetSmart as his bedding; shallow on the basking side and deeper on the cool side. On the cool side he also has a log hideout and a cuddle bone, while on the warm side he has a (very clean) half yogurt container, and on both sides there are rocks and moss that I purchased from Petsmart that I soaked and let dry in his home (though I'm thinking of taking it out because I'm afraid he might eat it or something, and I don't know whether I should keep it damp or not, i dont know!). He also has a shallow ground-level dish of water in the middle (next to the wall) of his home.
I'm planning on putting some weeds in there and growing a cactus or two on my windowsill, but if you have an suggestions to make him happier, please let me know. Thanks!

Sawyer Rae

West Coast USA
Hey again!
I'm a new owner, and I was wondering whether I should feed my (very young) Hermann's hatchling every day or every other day, etc.
Advice?

Kimm91

My hermann is 2 I feed every day but don't worry if you forget one day it won't do any harm :) they are amazing enjoy :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Feed every day. What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? How are you achieving those temps? Are you using a coil type UV bulb?

Here is a great care sheet for hermanni:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

This one is good for any Testudo species:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

What not to do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hello Sawyer Rae,
if it's Sphagnum Moss, keep it damp (it's non-toxic, so your hatchling can eat it). I would also recommend to feed every day, but if you put some weeds in the enclosure, you don't have to feed at all. ;)