Hermann's tortoise baby

John mead

Location (City and/or State)
Roseville Calfornia
I've had 3 adult hermanns torts for about 5 years and they have never had eggs(I have 2 females and 1 male). I went out to feed them today( they are in a large outdoor enclosure year around) and discovered 2 babies! Didn't even see any eggs! So I need advise. What to do now...bring them inside? leave them out? They are about a month old, I'm guessing, 11/2 inches across the back. Any advice for care would be greatly appreciate!
Thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Newark, DE
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

On the above sheet he talks about caring for hatchlings and I think he advises bringing them in, using a rubbermaid-type tub so that you can keep the humidity up. There are several Hermanns breeders on here who I'm sure will be along shortly to give you great advice. Would definitely not use the zoo med for a brand new baby (or anything with such short sides) because they need more humidity than adults!

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome to the forum! You must have been pretty surprised to find two tiny tortoises roaming about.

Don't get a Zoomed enclosure, as they will mold in high humidity, and are quite expensive. As mentioned above, Rubbermaid tubs are very cheap and make great enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I keep babies in the house for their first year. There are dangers outside and it's too hard to control the environment outside.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
If you do not get the zoomed house, build one cheaply. Babies need to be enclosed for the high humidity. Something like this but smaller. 3x3.

Attachments

• 15c8cd8a1bc23bcf19d444a5c1381caa.jpg
    15c8cd8a1bc23bcf19d444a5c1381caa.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 17

ColinS

Manchester
I know nothing about raising babies but I like to learn obviously... so if they have incubated themselves, hatched and are active are the conditions not already correct?