Hermanns tortoise and mazuri

taylormontgomery

My baby hatchling tortoise isn't having any part of the mazuri. I mix it with dried herbs and he won't touch it. If I put fresh food in there by itself he eats it all up.
I want him to get his nutrients. Any suggestions?

Also it's the LS small pellet kind.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Ls I read had a lot of tortoises hating it. Try mixing it into fruit treats. Soak it so its soft. Or crush it into a powder and sprinkle it on the food. Good luck . I use then regular Mazuri and all my guys love it.

Kyle

PlutoTestudo

5 Year Member
Illinois
My baby hatchling tortoise isn't having any part of the mazuri. I mix it with dried herbs and he won't touch it. If I put fresh food in there by itself he eats it all up.

I have never tried this but this is just my two cents. Try molding the soaked mazuri pellets in a ball form and then wrap the herbs or salads around the mazuri and see if he will eat it.

von345

Hermanns are not supposed to eat fruit. Soak it in warm water and sprinkle it on the fresh vegtables. Also a little calcium 2-3 times a week. Variety in greens will help him get all the nutrients he needs

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

I had the same problem with my tort.

Try mixing it the mazuri with something he likes, and keep up updated.:)

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :D

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have always thought of making a spray you could put on any food item and have a tortoise eat it. Too bad the market would be so small.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's the rare tortoise that will eat the new L.S.type Mazuri.
The original red label formula, however, seems irresistible to most of them. But it's gotten hard to find except in very large bags.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
The ls isn't popular with my Hermanns, but my Leopards like it.

I mix the mazuri with veggies as a mash and that usually gets them to eat it.

surfergirl

my hermanns eats both ls and original mazuri. he will come running out to eat it after dark even. lol just have to trick him to obtaining a liking to it. the original receipe I have only seen one Russian who did not like it and she is strickly a greens tort. I am working on her though, :)

JENNY04

Ls I read had a lot of tortoises hating it. Try mixing it into fruit treats. Soak it so its soft. Or crush it into a powder and sprinkle it on the food. Good luck . I use then regular Mazuri and all my guys love i

JENNY04

My Hermanwasn't to fond of it at first but I found an easy way to get him to consume it. I soak it in a non glass cup crumble it up in the cup and then let it dry out and then take a round wood dowel and grind it up. Then I sprinkle a little on his food kind of like little croutons . If his meal that day is not very moist then I lightly spritz it with water. It's worked for me. Hope it can help you .