Hermann update

surfergirl

Got my e. Hermanns last christmas eve and he has grown and continues to increase weight and size. He spent all summer outside and i have brought him in for the winter months. I was going to try to hibernate him in our coolest months but just wondering if it would be better to wait another year. He was 252 grams and 4 3/8" long(111.125mm) he is now 510 grams and 6 " long (152.4") . He was pyramiding slightly when i got him but now all new growth is smooth. I notice a lot of hermanns with slight pyramid. Almost like a lot of leopards but i am guessing it is humidity in their environment as the cause? I have raised dry back when that was the "way" (misguided way) so i know it causes this, any i have raised in 50-90% humidity depending on their species they have not had shell growth problems.(obviously all other proper habitat conditions of heat, sun light(uvb/uva), calcium and more were provided as well)

Does this sound about where most hermanns are at this size? Does anyone hibernate a hermanns this size with success. How long should they hibernate, should i start with 4 weeks?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not at all familiar with Hermanni, just wanted to post so your thread gets back onto the first page.

Reagan

New Hampshire
Hello,
In my opinion I would wait just because she is still little. I usually don't for my Hermann's, just because mine love to stay inside for the winter. Good luck!

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
He's a little underweight if those measurements are correct, is that the Straight Carapace Length? If so, I wouldn't hibernate him this year and focus on achieving some weight gain.

surfergirl

Yes that is the way, Well best straightline i could get from him. I tried to keep him still but he keeps pushing back away from the wall. I do not have the heart to force him against the wall under the resistance he is giving me. He is very healthy and eats like a pig so i may have missed the length measurements. Ill try again when he first wakes up in the am. Thanks for all the replies and if he needs to be awake all winter that is great with me. Was thinking today how much i would miss them. Can someone hook me up with the link to that scale for hibernation, of weight to length for healthy torts? I cannot remember the name of it to search it.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
Yes that is the way, Well best straightline i could get from him. I tried to keep him still but he keeps pushing back away from the wall. I do not have the heart to force him against the wall under the resistance he is giving me. He is very healthy and eats like a pig so i may have missed the length measurements. Ill try again when he first wakes up in the am. Thanks for all the replies and if he needs to be awake all winter that is great with me. Was thinking today how much i would miss them. Can someone hook me up with the link to that scale for hibernation, of weight to length for healthy torts? I cannot remember the name of it to search it.

If you don't want him to hibernate, there's no reason he has to. It's perfectly safe and healthy to keep him awake all winter if you have an adequate enclosure and can provide a nice, balanced diet!

surfergirl

That is what i am thinking, i have no plans to breed him so if that is the main bene to it our weather is really pretty good and it will only be 4 months max indoors.

von345

Dang my Hermanns is tiny. I got him a year ago and he only weights 62 grams? I'd been cold so. Had to feed him store bought stuff but now he his happy and put side. Is this weight correct for a 1 year old?

surfergirl

I have only had him a year, but he is probably 3-5 years old i figure. Torts grow at different rates so as long as yours in putting weight on weight cobsistently and he is active i see no reason to be concerned.