Hermann tortoise humidity

Piers Cresswell

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall UK
Hi,

I have read the care sheet which recommends around 70% humidity. Does anyone know what the safe threshold is?

I will aim for this but unfortunately my current set up isn't ideal (I am working on this). Should I worry about leaving my tort overnight with 80% or during the day with 60%?

Thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Piers
Sorry I can't help you with actual humidity for Hermanns but something to bear in mind is
correct warm temps + humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort
(plus this post will hopefully take your question onto the main forum list again)
Will tag @HermanniChris he'll definitely be able to help if he is available.
I struggle to get humidity high enough in my leopard's room so I soak everyday to compensate
and (because I am in work) to spend some time with him. At this time of year I could go days without seeing him, cause he is still in his hide when I leave and back in when I get home!
Roll on the lighter evenings and warmer days!

Piers Cresswell

Cornwall UK
Hi Lyn,

Thanks for the reply. I am giving Sancho a daily bath for about 20 minutes also.

The humidity is so variable for him the baseline at the moment is 60. I have bought an acrylic board to go over the top to keep in moisture and heat.

The section of his he under the light gets very dry even woth regular spraying (which I cant do everyday due to work). I am hoping that changing the substrate might help here.

I am concerned about my current methoda though as when i got up this morning and checked the hygrometer the temp was 15c and humidity 80% so I think Ill stop using ng the acrylic board for now.