Hermann tortoise growth

mkaykay

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Turbo, my Hermann, is approximately 2 months old now. I'm curious when he's going to start growing! I'm going to measure him tonight for fun.
I've tried finding stuff online but it's hard to find tortoise specific growth charts. Yes, I've read the care sheet on Hermanns.
He's getting a lot of calcium (I shred cutter bone over his food since he's not eating that) a couple times a week.
Not loving the baths so far, he's always eager to get out.
Anyways, I appreciate any responses :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443384860.483725.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443384873.652032.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cute little one. As long as you have everything correct, he will start to grow. When they do, you will see it often for about a year or two then they seem to slow. At least my leopard did. I don't think my leopard showed signs of growing until he was about 4-6 months maybe a little more, then I would notice new growth lines quite often.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I'm curious when he's going to start growing! View attachment 150203
I don't really understand your question, since Turbo already has two growth rings. ;)

I've tried finding stuff online but it's hard to find tortoise specific growth charts.
If you are interested I know growth charts of german breeders. For example this one (weeks/grams).

I shred cutter bone over his food since he's not eating that
I think too much calcium is not good either. I have a bowl with shredded cuttlebone in the enclosure and my Hermanns eat it from time to time, especially when they have a growth spurt. They havn't touched it in the last few weeks, I'm sure they didn't need it.

FujiBaird

@WithLisa , do you have more growth charts like the german one that you linked? I think they're really interesting. Thanks!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
@FujiBaird: Sure. ;)
Here you can find more charts of the same breeder. Easy to understand, the y-axis always shows grams, the x-axis the age (in either weeks/Wochen, months/Monate or years/Jahre.
"Anzahl der Exemplare" shows the quantity. She started out with 128 hatchlings and after 10 years there are only 2 left, because she is selling them.

Here is a chart of another breeder. It shows the maximum/minimum weight when they are hatching, at the first autumn, second autumn,...

Yet another breeders chart, it shows the "ideal growth pace".

This one shows the growth pace of wild Hermanns in France/Frankreich and Greece/Griechenland (and also male/Mnnchen and female/Weibchen), not in grams but mm (SCL).

Last edited:

FujiBaird

Thanks @WithLisa , and sorry for hijacking your thread, @mkaykay ! Those charts are all really interesting. I had no idea that hatchlings were only 10g or so. Must be so tiny and so adorable! And it's also crazy to see how much faster Roma has grown than these tortoises raised in Europe (and hibernated).

The pet shop where I got Roma couldn't tell me anything about when he'd hatched, so these charts are helpful for me in coming up with a better estimate of his age. :) Gotta know when to schedule the birthday party!

mkaykay

Minnesota
I don't really understand your question, since Turbo already has two growth rings. ;)

If you are interested I know growth charts of german breeders. For example this one (weeks/grams).

I think too much calcium is not good either. I have a bowl with shredded cuttlebone in the enclosure and my Hermanns eat it from time to time, especially when they have a growth spurt. They havn't touched it in the last few weeks, I'm sure they didn't need it.
I saw that after you mentioned it but can't believe he's so tiny still. I think he's the same size as when we got him. I'm going to have to measure him for fun every month

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I'm going to have to measure him for fun every month
I think weighing is easier because they grow not only longer, but also higher and wider (and the shape of the shell changes, hatchlings are flatter than adults).
In the last year my torts have grown only a few mm (maybe half an inch?), but their weight has already increased threefold! :)