Hermann tortoise + Bearded dragon.

Conor Belton

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin, Ireland.
Hi. I live in Ireland and have a hermann tortoise and a bearded dragon. In the Summer it is warm enough to house them both outside for the day. At night they are both in separate indoor enclosures. During the day (if it is warm enough) I will house them in the same outdoor enclosure. They both seem happy and so far nothing has gone wrong. If there is anything wrong with housing these two together for about 5 hours a day please say so. I am also curious to know what the best substrate mix is.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi. I live in Ireland and have a hermann tortoise and a bearded dragon. In the Summer it is warm enough to house them both outside for the day. At night they are both in separate indoor enclosures. During the day (if it is warm enough) I will house them in the same outdoor enclosure. They both seem happy and so far nothing has gone wrong. If there is anything wrong with housing these two together for about 5 hours a day please say so. I am also curious to know what the best substrate mix is.
My concern is the cross-contamination of different species from totally different localities. The parasites and beneficial bacteria/parasites that reptiles carry differ from area to area. Some benign and even possibly beneficial gut flora for one, might lead to problems with the other. I would not mix reptiles certainly originating from different continents.

Reactions: Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Mark, very bad idea. Seperate them both in and outside. By the time you realize it was a bad idea, it will probably be too late to correct.

Reactions: Tom