Hermann or cherry foot tortoise

wingshya

Hi guys,

I am staying in a place with constant high temp 27-34 degree Celsius and around 80% humidity. Thinking of having a tort indoor in my small apartment. Will like to know which is more suitable?

Thanks

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @wingshya and a very warm welcome to the forum. :tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the different care sheets, where you'll find a lot of useful information. ;)

And do not forget to post pics of your future tort and his/her enclosure. :D

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Even a smaller tortoise will need a large enclosure, at least 4' by 8' for these species, unless it is a very young hatchling which will quickly need an upgrade.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Even a smaller tortoise will need a large enclosure, at least 4' by 8' for these species, unless it is a very young hatchling which will quickly need an upgrade.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

A 4x8 isn't a good idea for hatchlings or even smaller torts that are still growing a baby cherry head or red foot hardly ever moves they hide constantly and a enclosure that big you'd constantly be having to dig them up and find them I'm not saying a small enclosure I'm just saying a 4x8 really isn't necessary until they're a few years age

Also to the op go with a cherry head I can't speak for hermanns but reds are really little balls of personality once they grow up and understand nothing is gonna eat them

wingshya

Ic, how about Indian star tortoise or red head tortoise? Which one is more suitable given the high temp , humidity and space constraints indoor environment?