Herman tortoises

Cindykychong

Location (City and/or State)
London, United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to the forum. We bought 2 Hermanns tortoises about 2 days ago. They were quite active when they first in their home but now seem quite quiet and shy, is it normal? I guess they need time to get used to the new place... I did let them walk a bit in the garden yesterday, they were active and enjoyed.
How often do they poo is normal? They slept from 5pm till 8 am this morning. Eat ok. Temp is within the normal range.

Thank you!!
Cindy

testudoLUVR

5 Year Member
Canby, OR
Congrats and yes the shyness and digging in the corners is most likely because it a new environment... How much do you feed it? It should normally poop about once a day. If poop is white contact someone immediately.:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cindy, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a very good care sheet written by a member who really knows his stuff when it comes to Hermanni. Please be sure to read it. You can find it at the top of the Hermanni section here on the Forum.

And, regarding white poop - This is a break down of proteins and the result of holding their urine. It is called 'urates'. . Tortoises are 'programmed' not to use water in the bladder to eliminate these unless replenishment is available. Depriving the tortoise of water will result in urates being accumulated - often to dangerous levels. The more dehydrated a tortoise is, the more solid the urates. If the tortoise is expelling urates of a cottage cheese consistency, or thinner, this is good.

If you soak your new tortoises daily, you shouldn't have to worry about urates. Most tortoise species expel them.