Herman tortoise keeps falling on back HELPP!

rosie20

My 1 year old Herman loves to climb no matter what I put in there to prevent it she always finds a way to climb something but majority of the time she is on her back or face planting the floor. I'm so conscious because I don't want her to be left on her back when I've gone out someone please give some me advice! She also has enough soil to dig down in HELPPPP!!!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
When my torts were young I put damp compact moss next to their log and any other place they might climb and tip. It served as an easy surface for climbing or a cushion for falling.

I also avoided taking them out to "roam" because I've heard they will pace and try to get out a lot once they acknowledge there's an outside world.

Good luck! :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hello, Maybe a pic of the enclosure will help us on ways to decrease this problem :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I have an 8 month old Cherryhead who was flipping himself on everything so now he lives in a boring enclosure until he gets bigger

rosie20

We are using grass pellets as the vets said coco coir should be used for more exotic tortoises

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
We are using grass pellets as the vets said coco coir should be used for more exotic tortoises

Huh. Weird.
I don't know anyone who advocates "grass pellets" as a substrate. Something firmer would give the tortoise the ability to right itself.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
what are grass pellets? i have not seen them mentioned anywhere on the care sheets. but you know me just learning all of this. I use coco coir, soil and repti bark . and moss around the rock and in the hide.