Hemlock Mulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I live in New Jersey, and aparently cypress mulch is almost impossible to find locally. I know that cedar and pine mulch are a nono, but what about hemlock mulch, is that safe? I did reference the library, and didnt see anything on hemlock. Can i use hemlock mulch? Thank you.

Attachments

• 1367982247666.jpg
    1367982247666.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 17

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well hemlock trees are a conifer. So its about the same as pine mulch. Pine has not really been linked to issues thus far that I know of. Given the oils/saps it can have in the mulch is the main scare in the "not to use". I would stay away from the hemlock, just to be safe. Not too particular of what oils, or natural chemicals it expels. Can you get hardwood mulch, orchid bark, sphagnum or peat moss?

TommyZ

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Well hemlock trees are a conifer. So its about the same as pine mulch. Pine has not really been linked to issues thus far that I know of. Given the oils/saps it can have in the mulch is the main scare in the "not to use". I would stay away from the hemlock, just to be safe. Not too particular of what oils, or natural chemicals it expels. Can you get hardwood mulch, orchid bark, sphagnum or peat moss?

Yep, orchid, sphagnum and peat we have here. Reason i was stuck on cypress was all my homework seems to lead to cypress being best for my red foot. Lowes has a "spagnum peat", i guess its a mixture? Is it going to be more dirt/soil like if i use peat?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Thr orchid is actually much better than the cypress. Holds moisture and wont decay as soon. For a redfoot(im assuming by the avatar photo) the mix of all 3 would be great. One thing too, if the tortoise is a hatchling. I would actually go with a coco coir from the pet stores or online. Then use the sphagnum/peat moss for a humid hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.