Help with shell?

sunshyne621

5 Year Member
I was given this three toed box turtle. She is 32+ years old and lived most her life in a classroom. I know that most her diet was fruit and she came with a tub of vitashell (). I do not know if she has had exposure to UV light or not.

Her shell looked looks very "flaky". Shape is pretty good, she does have a small raised stripe down the middle. Anything I can do about this?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502051319.301102.jpg

Thanks!!!

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Thanks for giving this turtle a good new home. Not really anything you can do at this point and age as far as the shell growth. You can help going forward with good nutrition and humidity, it looks like it was kept too dry. Offer fresh foods and supplements that are high in calcium and vitamins and supply UVB.

Freckles24

TN
I second that she was kept too dry. I would change out the sub because wood chips can dry up humidity. Try feeding her a little protein (like earth worms) box turtles are actually omnivorous and loveeee to eat insects. Also I've heard great things from moisturizing turtles shells with coconut oil. It may help or at least make it look a little better.

Dfwgolden

Texas
Other than looking dried out shell wise she appears okay. No pyramiding is present or anything.

I suggest using a mixture of Organic Compost (3-4$ a bag) with some sphagnum moss.
Make sure she stay rather moist but not in a swamp either. To wet for extended periods can cause fungal infections and other ailments.

Box turtles can technically live without UV lighting IF you are able to keep up with the nutrient requirements (higher amounts of calcium and d3 etc) but they do not thrive this way and I would never suggest keeping them like this.

At 32 years old she's past the point of "concern" really.

Keep her moist, well fed, make sure you feed things other than fruit. Veggies and protein are also important.

I'd love to adopt a boxie that old.

I just rescued one recently though I have no idea how old she is.
Both she and my male were rescued so their age is unknown. They're both at least 7-10 years old as they're sexually mature but other than that it's just a guess :)

sunshyne621

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. Yes, well versed in boxie care I have two westerns that I have had for over 10 years. She is extremely picky eater, I have had to almost puree foods to get her to eat anything other than fruit. She is not a hugs fan of worms, which I find shocking because my other two will move heaven and earth to get to a worm. I am going to try crickets next week when the pet store gets more in. The substrate is actually not just wood chips, but cypress mulch. It was all I had when I was given her unexpectedly, she is moving into a new cage shortly since she has been in quarantine.
I might try the coconut oil, I use it on my leopard everyday other month or so.