Help with growing my own food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonwonderland

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have four Russian tortoises, all about 4 and 5 inches long. My biggest one, her name is Marta, is the piggy of the bunch. Every morning she's the first one to eat breakfast and I've caught her trying to take food from the food dish at one side of the tank all the way to the heating lamp on the other! I recently switched their substrate from sand and coir to sand and organic top soil, and there are already little sprouts growing out of it! They've left the few sprouts alone for now, bulldozing a couple as well. Once Marta notices them, however, she'll be snacking on them in no time! So, I was wondering what other people are planting in their tanks for their torts to snack on? Maybe it will help a bit with the cost of Marta's appetite. :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Cheap birdseed is pretty popular, if your wanting to go the cheap way. I also buy seed packages from like WalMart. They have ones that are only 20 cents. Those include things like turnip and collard greens. If you can find a good local seller of bulk seeds that works well.

You may want to plant the seeds outside of the tank in trays. (I like to use the leftover trays I get from the spring mix). Then when those plants are alrge enough you simply "plant" the entire thing, tray and all into the enclosure. If you start trays on a regular basis, you can always have a tray ready for them to demolish in a blink. :D

allisonwonderland

5 Year Member
Ohio
Jacqui said:
Cheap birdseed is pretty popular, if your wanting to go the cheap way. I also buy seed packages from like WalMart. They have ones that are only 20 cents. Those include things like turnip and collard greens. If you can find a good local seller of bulk seeds that works well.

You may want to plant the seeds outside of the tank in trays. (I like to use the leftover trays I get from the spring mix). Then when those plants are alrge enough you simply "plant" the entire thing, tray and all into the enclosure. If you start trays on a regular basis, you can always have a tray ready for them to demolish in a blink. :D

I hadn't thought about bird seed! I have a bag of that at home already. :) Thank you! I'll have to find some seeds when I make it to a store as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.