Help with a Russian Tortoise

Karole

I took over parenting of a Russian Tortoise in May of this year. I live in a valley north of Los Angeles where daytime temps during the summer run 90-100 and are all over the place in the winter with nighttime lows that can drop into the 30's and low 40's. Tortoise is about the size of a paper plate. I have kept her outside in an enclosure I built. With the nights cooling down so much I am afraid to keep her outside. Unfortunately I have very little indoor space. I am at a bit of a loss at this point with winter care for her, hibernation, etc. Can anyone give me some advice and guidance on this? Thank you!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations.
It is usually unwise to hibernate a tortoise the first year you have it. I would suggest getting an old boocase and making a nice indoor enclosure this year.

Excelsior!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
:tort:A warm welcome to the forum. Hope you get the help you need soon. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Karole!

I like the bring-in-the-house-at-night suggestion. Russian tortoises do pretty well in cooler temps. Only thing is, the shorter days might trigger the hibernation reflex in the tortoise.

Karole

Thank you all for the welcomes! Glad to see a nice, friendly community! I will post a pic of Natasha and her enclosure soon. I think I am leaning toward the bring in at night option, as well. It would be great to do something indoors but space is so limited! Any other tips for care and keeping are very appreciated :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can get a very large Rubbermaid bin, I have one that is a 54 gallon one from Home Depot. Keep the tortoise outside during the day when it's bright and sunny and warm . But also set up a nice bright warm enclosure indoors so that your tortoise does not try to hibernate. 12 to 14 hours of "sunlight" daily and warm temperatures should help keep your tortoise awake all winter. You were lucky you live in a climate where you can do this. My tortoise is now stuck inside for the next few months, I feel bad but that's the way it goes. welcome to the forum.