HELP,WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY SULCACTA TURTLE!!!

nicole anderson

Hi, we have a sulcata turtle that I was told is around 3yrs old,we got it about 1 month ago and not sure of the sex but we think it's male. It's been eating and drinking and pooping normal also has been peeing fine.below are a few pictures we took of the red looking bulge coming out the tail,it will come out and stay a few seconds then go back in. What is it? i need to know if my turtle is suffering and or do i need to take him to vet???

Attachments

• IMG_20140601_152633_072.jpg
    IMG_20140601_152633_072.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20140601_152639_296.jpg
    IMG_20140601_152639_296.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20140601_152933_851.jpg
    IMG_20140601_152933_851.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20140601_152939_127.jpg
    IMG_20140601_152939_127.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 81

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I think you were just flashed, congratulations it's a boy. What you are seeing is his penis coming out, also known as flashing, normal.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
I'm not exactly sure, if its a male it might be his "parts" but again i dont really know and dont have research on this topic.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Without better pictures, I'm not 100% sold on it being him flashing. Could be a prolapse. 'He' also seems to be a bit small to be flashing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not real sure that's the penis. I think your tortoise is straining to push something out, and the innards are coming out - either the intestine or the lining. He may have a blockage or hard stool that he's trying to push out. While you're waiting for a vet appointment, keep the tortoise in warm water. You can set him up in the bath tub and make the water come up to the middle of his sides. Walking and scrambling to escape the tub usually helps them pass whatever is stuck in there.

Whatever else happens, don't allow that red spot to dry. If it comes out and stays out, be sure to keep it moist. But he needs to see a vet.

nicole anderson

So then I don't need to worry that's it's in pain or needs to see the vet? How can you tell for sure is it's just his "boy parts" and not a prolapse organ??

nicole anderson

When we got him we were told him was not very well taken care of and was very small for his age... so we dont know if he is in fact 3 yrs old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only know about prolapse from what I have seen and read on this forum and with that I agree with Yvonne, it doesn't look like the normal male part pictures we have seen before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please re-read my post above. Your tortoise DOES need to see a vet, and you must be very sure to not allow that red spot to dry out. If it does the part dies, and since we don't know what part of the tortoise it is, bowel, intestine, lining, what? then you don't want it to die or the tortoise may die too. It is very important for you to take this tortoise to the vet. An x-ray is in order to try to determine why the tortoise is straining.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've seen that before on a group of SA Leopards I purchased a couple of years ago.

I'm not a veterinarian, but I'm pretty sure that is an intestinal prolapse. Most likely cause (as best I've been able to research) is inadequate hydration.

I don't like giving medical advice beyond good husbandry suggestions, so I'll just say that he'll need a vets help.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Good luck with your tort please let us know what the vet says .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did you see the part where Yvonne said to soak him in warm water in the bath tub?

I'd say the number one problem with captive sulcatas is dehydration.

nicole anderson

Here is a update :
Vet said that he/she is backed up and he saw a few little rocks/ pebbles ,we started to feed our baby cactus pads which he/she loved and also started soaking more often and for a longer period of time. We also have been adding mineral oil to the food which worked wonders because right after he/she started pooping out little rocks.havent seen the red thing come out at all so that must be a good sign. Thanks for all the help.