Help us please hermanns tortoise

sheldon15

We recently bought a Hermanns tortoise and the pet shop we got him from had him on wood chips (beech)
After reading on the Internet that wood chips are dangerous we went to another shop that told us to get herbi floor pellets... Thing is we have been told so many different things that we just don't know what's best can anybody help ? What is the best subtrate?

Thanks in advance
Jade

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Coconut coir. No pellets as substrate. The substrate needs to be able to hold moisture.

Have you read the care sheet here?

Pet stores sell stuff. Then more stuff. They often give information based on selling stuff, not on good husbandry practices.

sheldon15

It's just so hard to get it right because everybody has different ideas on what's the best, I believe the shop we got him from didn't have a clue :/ is the enclosure meant to hold humidity ? As we was told buy the shop not to have any humidity or as little as possible ?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Welcome. Unfortunately, pet stores are the very last ones you'd ever want to ask for advice. Please read the care sheet I've written at the top of this page and follow it. You can also view my Hermann's tortoise site at: www.hermannihaven.com after you've read all of that, feel free to contact me directly through it and you can of course continue to ask questions on here.

sheldon15

Such a shame because people think they can trust them and think they know best but they don't we will have a good read of the care sheet thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jade, and welcome to the Forum!

sheldon15

Going to buy topsoil mixed with sand and coconut coir for my hermanns subtrate tomoro is this correct before I go and buy it ? Does say these in the care sheet :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sand??? I would double check the care sheet. Im not up to speed on Hermanns but I would think sand is not a good option. Chris is the almighty when it comes to the hermanns so if it's on that care sheet then you're good to go. I know for other species we say no sand because it sticks to there face and food. That means it can get in their eyes or impacted in their intestines. Just double check Chris' care sheet

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Depends on how much sand is in the mix. A little bit keeps the soil from clumping or turning into mud.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Exactly. We use a small amount in all of our enclosures to break up the substrate to avoid "caking". It's also very natural for them in terms of what they live on in nature. You don't have to do it, It's just simply what we do here and in more then 20 years, we have never experienced a problem with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Such a shame because people think they can trust them and think they know best but they don't we will have a good read of the care sheet thank you

This is the biggest tragedy of all. It is bad like this all over the world and the same wrong information just keeps getting passed down from generation to generation.

Glad you found us.

In addition to Chris's excellent care sheet that is specifically for hermanni, you might find some useful tips in these too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

shelley11

You should use a 50/50 mix of play sand and top soil with no fertiliser that's the best!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should use a 50/50 mix of play sand and top soil with no fertiliser that's the best!!

I disagree. I have seen many cases of sand impaction from people using sand and sand mixes. The risk goes down along with the percentage of sand used. I consider 50/50 to be very dangerous.

I also don't like topsoil because, at least here, it is made with peoples composted yard trimmings that could be covered in chemicals and pesticides or could be toxic plant trimmings like oleander, for example. Sure it is composted, but has anyone ever tested it it to see what it is? I think its better to use something that is known, and known to be safer.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
as Chris stated above he uses a small amount of sand. I'm not sure if it's 50/50. I do not use sand it scares me. I will also not be feeding my baby where there is substrate. i made a second story where his food will be. although he will be able to graze all over his enclosure because it has plants in it. I know many people use sand with no problems and I know of people on here who have had problems with sand.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
oops I didn't even say Hi and welcome. :( sorry
Hi and welcome this is a really good forum. I spend way too much time on here. lol but I love learning

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Exactly. We use a small amount in all of our enclosures to break up the substrate to avoid "caking". It's also very natural for them in terms of what they live on in nature. You don't have to do it, It's just simply what we do here and in more then 20 years, we have never experienced a problem with it.
Hi Chris can you let us know the amount of sand you add so there is no confusion please. Is it 50/50 or do you mix less sand. Thanks :)