Help Toto with his eating problems!

Evyislol

5 Year Member
Toto is my terrapin (red ear slider), and recently he hasn't been eating. I know that young terrapins should eat everyday, but he isn't eating whatever I gave him! I tried giving him food pellets, fresh vegetables. I only have a bit of water treatment(you know, the one that is blue and treats the chlorine in tap water) so I dare not give him the average amount of water. I give him a bit, enough for him to move around quickly but not submerged and add a bit of water treatment liquid every time. As he is in the living room, the source of light is usually the ceiling lights. Our water temperature in Singapore is an average 25+ degrees Celsius.

I need your help urgently! He hasn't been eating for three days!:([/font]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As I said in your intro thread. He needs to be able to put his head under the water to eat. He also needs a basking light of 95+ and a platform to get out of the water to sun himself under the basking light. He also needs a UVB light and the sunlight going through the window will not work for the UVB as it will not go through glass.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What type of terrapin?

http://www.faunaimportuk.com/caresheets/terrapins.htm

I looked at your other thread and see that you have a red eared slider??

If yes, you will want a tank that can be filled most of the way, a water heater so the water can be kept at 78ish, a basking light over a dock where the turtle can come out on and bask and allow shell to dry out when they need to....turtles don't eat out of the water as they don't have salivary glands as land turtles/tortoise do.

Also, this species of turtle really love meat when they are young (like worms and you can use freeze dried meal worms, crickets and shrimp)...as they age they also can be fed leafy greens...

They also need uv rays....so a MVB appropriate for the enclosure/tank size is desirable for daytime hours..

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-Red-Eared-Slider-Turtle

Evyislol

5 Year Member
The terrapin ^^

My little guy, Toto, hasn't been moving much but thanks to the advice here, he started being active and even eating. The little guy really loves to look at himself in the mirror though. And he's really fast! Really playful! :tort: weird thing, he likes the dark. Is that a good or bad thing?