Help the new girl

Hillygirl

Location (City and/or State)
Bonham Tx
Hi my name is Hillary and I am a brand new Sulcata owner in Texas. A guy that was at our college sent out that he was looking to rehome a sulcata that he has had for a little over two years. My husband and I are animal lovers and decided to look into it. I've been doing a lot of research on proper diets and health issues and housing requirements. I asked the guy what he had been feeding and he said nothing kale and spinach every other day. I know from my research that spinach is too high in protein and can cause pyramiding. The little guy has been on this diet for 2 years now. I think he might be in the process of pyramiding already. Can someone please look at these pictures and tell me what I should do? We just got him today and we want to switch him onto a grass and hay diet with calcium supplement. Any thing else? I honestly want whats best for him any advice from experienced owners would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping since he's theres something we can do to reverse this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your research has already led you down the wrong path. There is a lot of misinformation and old, out dated, incorrect info about them circulating around the internet.

Protein does not cause pyramiding. Growth in conditions that are too dry does. Also spinach is not high in protein. It is high in oxalates which bind with calcium and make it unavailable to the tortoise. Its okay once in a while, but not as a staple.

Here are some threads to help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Your pics did not post. Try uploading them to tinypic.com and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post. Its really easy and you don't need an account or anything. Hassle free and simple.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, can't see your pictures (yet). U might have to redo them, make sure u are using the Upload a File tab, load the px, then Post Reply. For starters probably needs a larger enclosure, better heat and lighting, a moist hide, and a good mixed diet, some cuttlebone, and some daily 20-30 minute soaks in warm water.

Check out the sulcata care sheets - lots of good info.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:D Some of Toms threads are also below in my post. Not sure if they are the same he listed, but his threads will lead you in the right direction.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Hillary. It's fairly easy to post pictures by using the "upload a file" button down at the lower right side of the screen.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Hillygirl

Bonham Tx
image.jpgimage.jpg here's the pictures! Thank you for the information. The more the better as you can see I don't know a whole lot

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Oh it is badly pyramided already. With that being said follow toms threads. With soaking and a humid enclosure the new growth will be smooth and once it's big you will hardly notice the bumpy shell

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Make sure it's got a shallow water dish soak it in warm water for 30 mins a day and twice a day wouldn't hurt. Keep it's enclosure as wet and humid as possible