Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Nick:

You're just going to have to bite the bullet and do it! Get something that can fit in along side the rock - a stick, a skewer, whatever - and pry the rock out. First squirt some oil up in there to make it all slippery, and pry the rock out. This is all part of being an animal-keeper (or a dad). You're going to have to solve all kinds of problems in day-to-day tortoise-keeping. Yes, it's going to hurt the tortoise, but it will be over quickly. Then clean it well and apply some Neosporin.

What do you think the vet will do? Same as described above.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Nick:

You're just going to have to bite the bullet and do it! Get something that can fit in along side the rock - a stick, a skewer, whatever - and pry the rock out. First squirt some oil up in there to make it all slippery, and pry the rock out. This is all part of being an animal-keeper (or a dad). You're going to have to solve all kinds of problems in day-to-day tortoise-keeping. Yes, it's going to hurt the tortoise, but it will be over quickly. Then clean it well and apply some Neosporin.

What do you think the vet will do? Same as described above.
i still can't get it out. can the vet make her sleep and then take it out?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The vet won't likely anesthetize a small tort. It would take longer than simply removing it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ask for your mom or dad to help you. Lubricate the rock and pry it out. You're just going to have to get tough and do it, Nick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you can't get your finger up in there, then try using a rounded stick. It should pop right out with lubrication.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, cooking oil is fine.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Have needle-nosed pliers, forceps or hemostats handy in case you need to grab & pull it out.

Killerrookie

Have you tried touching his front legs? Reason I ask is the tortoise will pull his front legs in and his back legs will pop out that's how I get my tortoise to give me it's back leg so I can give it a shot. But your gonna have to tough up and take it out yourself that tortoise needs your help and I understand it's gonna be hard trying to get that rock out but put him in water to make him swim or do what the other guys are saying with the oil.