Help soft tort shell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bannana

5 Year Member
My redfoot tortoise hatchling seems to have a soft shell... I don't know why or how to stop it. My temps are 83 and humidity is 90. She doesn't eat much she will eat half a peace of spring mix in size a day at the most. I soak her in baby food and water for 20 minutes a day n then take her out to walk around for 40 minutes a day. She had to be seperated from my baby yellowfoot because she always nips at him. Her diet is butternut squash,romaine,spring mix,carrots,strawberrys,cactus,blueberrys. If you could tell me why this happened and what it is?ImageUploadedByTortForum1373075621.236111.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373075636.476891.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Is that the enclosure you're using for both torts? The second picture looks like the mulch is overly saturated. Do you normally have hides, a water and food dish in there? Also, are you using compact (coil) fluorescent bulbs?

bannana

5 Year Member
pfara said:
Is that the enclosure you're using for both torts? The second picture looks like the mulch is overly saturated. Do you normally have hides, a water and food dish in there? Also, are you using compact (coil) fluorescent bulbs?

Yes I use it for both but I am currently working on something bigger.i run my humidifier high enough to keep them wet at all times,so it the mulch get really wet if I turn it down they appear dry. I keep nothing in their because they flip on everything.i do not use coil bulbs.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What are you using to read temps? They shouldn't be wet at all times. With all that standing water, if it gets below 80, they can easily get a respiratory infection. Also, a place to hide is a must. They need to feel safe. The fact that they're in the open can stress them out to the point where their immune systems are compromised.

bannana

5 Year Member
pfara said:
What are you using to read temps? They shouldn't be wet at all times. With all that standing water, if it gets below 80, they can easily get a respiratory infection. Also, a place to hide is a must. They need to feel safe. The fact that they're in the open can stress them out to the point where their immune systems are compromised.

I will try to make a hide and what should I aiming for when I look at them. A light water shine? Dry? I am useing a exo terra digital thernometer

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
20130609_163459.jpgIf the humidity is above 80, I wouldn't worry about how "dry" they look. Mist them a couple times a day and they should be good to go. In this pic, 3 of them were misted and one wasn't (to give you an idea of the "dry" look).

Last edited by a moderator:

bannana

5 Year Member
pfara said:
If the humidity is above 80, I wouldn't worry about how "dry" they look. Mist them a couple times a day and they should be good to go. In this pic, 3 of them were misted and one wasn't (to give you an idea of the "dry" look).

Alright I won't worry about dryness but what is causing the soft shell?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Honestly, it could be a number of things. I hope someone more experienced can help you with your little one's health issues. The first thing that pops into my head when I see the words "soft shell" is calcium deficiency.

bannana

5 Year Member
pfara said:
Honestly, it could be a number of things. I hope someone more experienced can help you with your little one's health issues. The first thing that pops into my head when I see the words "soft shell" is calcium deficiency.

Alright, thank you very very much for giving me all of your advice!

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
well for starters. you have an open top enclosure, which isn't holding any of your heat in. It's probably drifting right up out of the pen, leaving the humidity high, and temps low, or room temp. Your torts need hides so that they can feel safe and have a place to find refuge. I would add more leafy greens to the diet. Are you putting calcium powder on the food twice a week? They need calcium for sure. Are there any brown or white spots on the plastrons? If the mulch is constantly wet, then they could get shell rot. If you have hatchlings, the bottom of the shell should be flexible and be able to be pushed in, however it shouldn't be super easy to press in, it should take some pressure. The overall texture should be hard and firm, not mushy. If its mushy or turns into the top of the shell and the bottom of the shell to be easily pressed in you have problems. My tortoise developed a soft shell and got very sick and I ended up having to put it down. We chalked it up to hatchling failure syndrome because my care was pretty good. Find a way to cover the tops of the enclosure to trap in the heat. Do they have waterbowls? Add terracotta plant saucers for water and sink them into the substrate so its easy to climb into. Have food available of course. provide hides for each of them. Provide a warm side of about 90 degrees, basking spot of 100-105, and a cool side of about 80-83. Like i said, add more leafy greens into the diet, red foots do eat fruit but still need their greens. Keep a close eye on the redfoot. If the shell gets any softer or it stops eating then it might be very sick. I'd also check the nose and eyes. Nose should be clear of discharge, eyes should be clear. If its keeping its eyes closed thats not good. Listening for its breathing, is there any clicking? If any of these show it might have a respiratory infection. If your tort has a soft shell, becomes lethargic, doesn't eat, its eyes stay closed, doesn't move around much, then it might be very sick and i'd make a new thread about it for advice or take it to the vet. You'll need to do baby food soaks boost the calcium to harden the shell, and keep it hydrated very well.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
If a tortoises shell is constantly wet it can lead to shell rot. You want to dry out the substrate a bit,the humidity is the water content within the air not the ground. The humidifier is going to take care of that part, just keep up the temps no lower than 80.

You can still mist them, in fact they will probably enjoy it and they need water in their enclosure so they can drink or cool themselves.

Hides and things to walk over and around are also very important, as said hides help them feel secure, and things to walk around help break the line of sight and give them something to do. If you are having trouble with them climbing and flipping try piling dirt up the sides of the hide so they Can easily walk up to the top of it and back down, while still being able to go inside. And get a very shallow water dish, so the water only goes up to the line where top and bottom shell meet.

bannana

5 Year Member
EchoTheLeoTort said:
well for starters. you have an open top enclosure, which isn't holding any of your heat in. It's probably drifting right up out of the pen, leaving the humidity high, and temps low, or room temp. Your torts need hides so that they can feel safe and have a place to find refuge. I would add more leafy greens to the diet. Are you putting calcium powder on the food twice a week? They need calcium for sure. Are there any brown or white spots on the plastrons? If the mulch is constantly wet, then they could get shell rot. If you have hatchlings, the bottom of the shell should be flexible and be able to be pushed in, however it shouldn't be super easy to press in, it should take some pressure. The overall texture should be hard and firm, not mushy. If its mushy or turns into the top of the shell and the bottom of the shell to be easily pressed in you have problems. My tortoise developed a soft shell and got very sick and I ended up having to put it down. We chalked it up to hatchling failure syndrome because my care was pretty good. Find a way to cover the tops of the enclosure to trap in the heat. Do they have waterbowls? Add terracotta plant saucers for water and sink them into the substrate so its easy to climb into. Have food available of course. provide hides for each of them. Provide a warm side of about 90 degrees, basking spot of 100-105, and a cool side of about 80-83. Like i said, add more leafy greens into the diet, red foots do eat fruit but still need their greens. Keep a close eye on the redfoot. If the shell gets any softer or it stops eating then it might be very sick. I'd also check the nose and eyes. Nose should be clear of discharge, eyes should be clear. If its keeping its eyes closed thats not good. Listening for its breathing, is there any clicking? If any of these show it might have a respiratory infection. If your tort has a soft shell, becomes lethargic, doesn't eat, its eyes stay closed, doesn't move around much, then it might be very sick and i'd make a new thread about it for advice or take it to the vet. You'll need to do baby food soaks boost the calcium to harden the shell, and keep it hydrated very well.

Wow that's a lot of info,thank you for taking the time to write that.i do have a enclosed enclosure but I took it off for the picture. I will try to make a hide so they can't flip on it.most other leafy greens that i can get they do not eat. I do not put calcium on their food which I know I should should I get with or without d3. Their is no markings on her plastron. I think it's to mushy. I will add water bowls back. No clicking. She doesn't eat a lot.she normally moves around a lot. Just Tonight I noticed the mushy shell,she was inactive also.

Status
Not open for further replies.