Help!!! (Poisoning???)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He sleeps in his hide! When we check the temps at night around his hide it's about 86 degrees.

Stupid question probably, but wouldn't the humidity cause dampness?
Humidity and dampness go hand in hand but with correct temps the humidity is not a problem. The temp should never go below 80 and the humidity should be 80% and a basking spot of 95-100. With correct temps the humidity will not cause most torts any problems, specially leopards. What kind of antibiotic is he giving? If I'm not mistaken, which @Yvonne G can confirm, Baytril is very bad for leopards.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Humidity means warm and moist. Damp means cold and wet. They are cold blooded animals so cannot thermoregulate or warm up the air they breathe in. Cold air will cause a respiratory infection.

This occurs at night many of the times. Perhaps stay up late one night and check your night time temp. At the burrowing area where he sleeps.

Jenna nico

Dyoxcycline suspension 100mg Is the antibiotic I was given!!

Thanks guys, I'm gonna monitor the temps tonight

Jenna nico

Ugh. His eyes are so puffy today, and closed for a majority of eh time and he's super lethargic.

We started the medication today, so he had his first dosage about 3 hours ago.
Struggling with his enclosure!!

Praying praying praying the medicine works. I'm a nervous wreck

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Ugh. His eyes are so puffy today, and closed for a majority of eh time and he's super lethargic.

We started the medication today, so he had his first dosage about 3 hours ago.
Struggling with his enclosure!!

Praying praying praying the medicine works. I'm a nervous wreck

Were you able to see what the temps were in the middle of the night? Don't forget to make it so the coldest it gets while he's sick is 85, day or night

Jenna nico

Also - I noticed he keeps rubbing at his eyes. Is that also a sign of RI? They're swollen and shut...and now he's been rubbing at them

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Also - I noticed he keeps rubbing at his eyes. Is that also a sign of RI? They're swollen and shut...and now he's been rubbing at them
rubbing the eyes because they are swollen;and swollen eyes can be the first sign of a respiratory infection. Boost the heat if you have not already. there are eye drops that can be safely used. Vets have some with antibiotic in them.....but if you are already using an antibiotic in oral medication; it might be too much so ask vet first. Increased heat will stimulate the body to begin to heal itself. The use of the oral antibiotic may decrease appetite. IF eating decreases or stops; you might consider daily soaks with baby carrot food in the warm water. Nutrients are absorbed through the skin; mostly sugars. When lethargic like you mentioned; keep a very close watch during soaking. Keep it shallow.