Help! (not eating, eyes closed)

Moshie

I took Little Sir Isaac and Newton to the vet tonight because Newton quit eating and wouldn't open his eyes. He said they had an IR and gave them each a shot of Baytril. I was just going to give them their night time soak and put them to bed. When I took Newton out this is what I found. I immediately called the vet and he said not to worry about it and that it had nothing to do with the shot. He looked completely normal when I took him in. Please can anyone give me advise as to what may have caused this and what I can do. Thank you. Moshie

Attachments

• 20170221_192406.jpg
    20170221_192406.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29

Moshie

Thank you. I have him soaking right now. I will make sure he stays on wet moss for the night after his bath. Is there anything else I can do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make a sugar paste. Just water and sugar but so its not funny but pasty. Put that on it for about 10 minutes. Not sure if it can be left on longer. Keep him off of any substrate like coir or dirt. Keep the prolapse wet. Do not let it dry out.

Moshie

I found a vet that would see him tonight.....80 miles from here. We got there and she managed to get things put back inside. She was very concerned because the local vet gave him 3 times the Baytril that she would have because he is so small. She also said he showed no sign of respiratory infection. What she thought was wrong was still shock from the shipment. She also said he was fully hydrated which was a very good sign. She told me just keep doing what I have so far to maintain hydration and try to get him to eat something. When we finally got home last night I gave him a warm bath in baby food and he did drink some. Today he is still with me which after last night the vet said she would give him maybe 50/50 chance. Thank you all for your imput. I read some from the discussion about prolapse and plan to read more today. I do know that a sugar diaper will be in his future is I see any sign of this happening again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure to soak this tortoise daily to help flush out the excess antibiotics in his system. Leave him in the soaking water for at least a half hour. If you use a small container, you can put it back into the enclosure while he soaks, near, but not directly under the light.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you have 2 tortoises are they kept together or separately?

Moshie

Thanks so much. I have soaked them both often so hope that will help them recoup. I do have two 6 month old Burmese Mountain siblings. They have always been together and so far seem fine with each other. They eat together and both sleep in the same hide at night. During the day one uses the other hide more. I keep close watch on them for any rivalry but so far none. They are in a fairly large habitat so plenty of space. Thanks again everyone for your help. I will let you know how he is doing in a day or so.