help needed! my baby leopard suddenly refuses to eat.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your tortoise it quite probably over- heating. Stick a thermometer in the shade you have provided and see if it is actually cooler or whether it is heating up like an oven.

You need to soak this tortoise for at least 30 minutes twice a day to rehydrate it.

Sidniy

Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia
will try increases the soak. but could it be infected with diseases earlier on just before i bought it and the symptoms only surface up now?

Sidniy

yeah a bit worry. this morning before going to work i gave a few pieces of vege for him to eat. he eats it. seems normal. no sound. no bubble. i let him do his business. after about 30 minutes later, i try to check on him, he was heating himself under the ceramic heat emitter. then i pick him up to see if his nose is watery or what, then the sound starts again, a bubble popped. stressed from over heating plus allergic? humidity seems ok. without direct sunlight, humidity is 50%+. indoors, humidity is 70-80%

Sidniy

Hi guys, if I increase the humidity to 70% and keep the temperature around 28-35c, as well as soaking my tortoise, how long should the bubble be gone? It's been 3 days and I still see bubbles from his nose. I'm worried if it gets worse and ended up as pneumonia. The bubble is clear though. Not thick. I'm not sure what causes the bubble. If it's because I added too much cuttlebone powder into his meal then I only have myself to be blamed.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, is it normal for my tortoise to make sound? How do i know hes breathing normally? Today i heard he made sound after i gave him a shower.
No I'm afraid sounds are not normal.

Hope the "experts" here will be able to give you advice, I cannot - sorry.

Taco*mom

Hi Sidney, how's your tort? I hope he's doing better. Sorry I am not much of any help. Welcome to the forum by the way. Just realized I never get to say that to you.

Sidniy

Hi Sidney, how's your tort? I hope he's doing better. Sorry I am not much of any help. Welcome to the forum by the way. Just realized I never get to say that to you.
hi @Taco*mom
thanks for the concern. i'm not sure if my tortoise is getting better or what. where what i did and observed.
before that, here's a look of the indoor set up.
14571941_10154512360115675_1164682735_o.jpg 14614375_10154512358415675_1762932820_o.jpg 14618787_10154512358335675_1122972924_o.jpg i know. the lack of substrate might be irritating, but if i'm not reading the hygrometer wrongly, even set up like this can get humidity up to 89%. am i reading the right thing?

5th OCT
7.00 pm: put tortoise into indoor set up. added shredded paper for tortoise to snuggle and hide.
9.00 pm: tortoise sleeping soundly.

6th OCT
5.30 am: wake up. put two pieces of 'sawi' probably called mustard green, into the container. tortoise wake up, walk near the vege, smelled a bit and then starts biting. after a few bites, i remembered i need to soak him before going to work. so i put him for a nice soak and i do my things for about 30 minutes.
6.00 am: returned the tortoise into the container. he starts eating the vege again. not much. about a piece at most.
7.30 am. placed tortoise into cardboard habitat. (didn't took picture) pretty much the same as the one i posted earlier. the only difference is the land now is covered with cardboard rather than direct concrete. the habitat is outdoor under a roof. direct sunshine will hit the habitat about 2 pm onwards. pretty hot. temperature can reach up to 50c without shade. 45c under roof's shade. 40c under hide's under roof's shade. (not sure if u guys can understand what im writing here. lol) though under such temperature, the humidity can remain about 70% if im reading my device correctly.
4.30 pm: return home from work, check on my tortoise. he was sitting next to the broken vase i provide him as a hide with his eyes opened. i checked on his nose, no wet nose. a bit glad. i told myself not to celebrate so early. i put him to soak for another 30 minutes under the sun.(32c overall because its a rainy day and no rain during soaking)
5.00pm : check on tortoise, nose gets back to wet and little bubbles formed. dried it up using tissue paper and it comes back. gave a few hibiscus leaves and not even a bite. he gets back into his hide place and starts sleeping.
6.00pm: i put him back into the indoor habitat with 'sawi' , hibiscus leaves and flower. he took a few bite, like 4 to 5 bites and then hide himself under the shredded papers to sleep until now.

here's some of his pictures i took a few days ago days ago. 27 sept
14572039_10154512440755675_501849455_o.jpg 14572560_10154512441125675_66700190_o.jpg 14550879_10154512440800675_630795007_o.jpg who knows if u guys can spot anything abnormal or anything unusual since im a newbie here. knows absolutely nothing about tortoise until recently.

Sidniy

hi guys, its been a while since i heard from you guys. so there's a question, do tortoises eats whenever we provide food or do they skip meals for a day or so occasionally? how active should they be? i did an observation to my tortoise, he likes to sleep or sits there doing nothing during day time. temperature is +-35c during daytime. mine usually eat about one and a half piece of leaves(mustard green) per meal and not more. last night, he kind of skipped dinner and this morning's breakfast. how often do they poop? in the beginning, the first month of owning him, he pooped almost everyday. now, his last poop was since Friday. which is 3 days ago. is that normal?

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I don't own a leopard tortoise, i own a sulcata. Although their diet is the same, but sulcata is well known for their hugh appetite. It should be the same in general that tort will eat everyday all day long when they feel they want it. The amount of food, i can't answer you.
And another thing, sulcata is well known for their activeness, i don't know with leopard,so can't answer it too. ;)
Poop usually is once a day when they are having soak, some every other day.

There was a research from tom, he was observing his babies, and found out that babies raise in indoor enclosure with 1 or 2 hours of outsime time daily tends to be healhier, having better appetite and having better growth. This is not absolute, however this can give us some idea that a huge majority (we are not saying 100% here) of babies is doing better in indoor enclosure with outdoor time 1 2 hours a day.
Another research by tom also, found out that ambient temp play a significant role too.

So, with those researches along with other knowledges from all the link above that already been given to you, i think your tort still doesn't really like his environment. My newbie guess is because it is too hot, or maybe he is still adapting or what.
Tortoise do not like change. However some tort is slower than others, as long as the environment is not making him sick, than you are half way for having healthy tort. Soaks is really important. Do it everyday. Add variety to his food. I think you should read more and find out what is wrong by yourself because there are always a tiny little details that you are missed and by reading, it will comes out to your mind, "ohh!! This is the problem!!" Sometimes it is how things work :D.

Sidniy

I don't own a leopard tortoise, i own a sulcata. Although their diet is the same, but sulcata is well known for their hugh appetite. It should be the same in general that tort will eat everyday all day long when they feel they want it. The amount of food, i can't answer you.
And another thing, sulcata is well known for their activeness, i don't know with leopard,so can't answer it too. ;)
Poop usually is once a day when they are having soak, some every other day.

There was a research from tom, he was observing his babies, and found out that babies raise in indoor enclosure with 1 or 2 hours of outsime time daily tends to be healhier, having better appetite and having better growth. This is not absolute, however this can give us some idea that a huge majority (we are not saying 100% here) of babies is doing better in indoor enclosure with outdoor time 1 2 hours a day.
Another research by tom also, found out that ambient temp play a significant role too.

So, with those researches along with other knowledges from all the link above that already been given to you, i think your tort still doesn't really like his environment. My newbie guess is because it is too hot, or maybe he is still adapting or what.
Tortoise do not like change. However some tort is slower than others, as long as the environment is not making him sick, than you are half way for having healthy tort. Soaks is really important. Do it everyday. Add variety to his food. I think you should read more and find out what is wrong by yourself because there are always a tiny little details that you are missed and by reading, it will comes out to your mind, "ohh!! This is the problem!!" Sometimes it is how things work :D.
Thanks for he advice. still figuring out whats the problem. for the last few days since the bubbly nose problem, i started to soak 3 times a day. with warm water. tried giving variety of food but he's very choosy. only eats 'sawi' or a few bites of 'kailan'. i tried giving hibiscus leaves, he takes a bite and then goes away. as for lettuce, a few sniff and then goes away. i wonder whats went wrong. will continue to do research. still has bubbly nose but not as often. usually comes out after soak. maybe that's a good sign? not sure. so so inexperience in this.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Bubbly nose after soaks is quiet normal, because he is wet. It is not normal if the bubble too big lol.

Sidniy

Bubbly nose after soaks is quiet normal, because he is wet. It is not normal if the bubble too big lol.
the bubble seems not normal to me, it's not big though. it feels like human runny nose consistency, not very watery but not thick. its clear. the wetness on his nose can last a few minutes even after i dried it with dry tissue paper. there may not be bubble but there's definitely wetness. the wetness then will dries up.

Sidniy

Hi guys, a bit of advice here needed. My Tortoise finally made a poop after so many days of not pooping. Not sure Constipation or just lack of food consumption.

So I brought the poop for fecal exam and the Dr saw 'something' was actually moving and suggested me to give my tort fenbendazole.

So I went to another vet to buy the dewormer since the 1st vet doesn't sell those. I told the 2nd vet about my Tortoise having runny nose and loss appetite, immediately she suggests giving my Tortoise a jab.

So should I give the vet a try? It seems hard to feed my Tortoise the med bcz lack of appetite and I'm guessing the med doesn't smell good. How do I feed it?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When it comes to get oral meds down a tortoise, you do what you have to do. If that means mixing it with forbidden food like strawberry then you do it!

What jab did the 2nd vet want to give? Antibiotics? Vitamins?

Sidniy

@JoesMum is there any picture tutorial on feeding Fenbendazole? Mine comes in liquid form. I tried cutting 2 slices of strawberry and put a drop of the med in between as a sandwich. Somehow it squeezes out the med and my tort won't eat it.

I'm so doubtful of the 2nd vet. I think she's trying to give antibiotic. She haven't seen my Tortoise yet. I only told her the symptoms and she suggested a jab. So I guess it's antibiotic.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I haven't had chance to read all your posts about your baby yet but hope your tort is doing better.
Is that his usual enclosure or just a temporary home while he is ill?
He could have been eating the shredded paper and do you also have a uvb source for him?
Apologies if I'm mistaken, but that just looks like a ceramic heat emitter which only gives heat, obviously he needs to be kept warm but when indoors, uvb is essential for absorption of minerals etc. I use a mvb by day and a che at night.
I'm sure I've read that the widely used antibiotic baytril isn't good with leopards in case the vet suggests it, but do a search to find out more about that. I wish him I'm good luck and hope he s better soon @Tom and @Yvonne or @Team Gomberg may be able to help regards the meds.