HELP!!! need ALOT of HELP!!!! Turtle eggs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyreytheturtlelover

5 Year Member
Well i was walking my puppy and i passed by a ditch or some sort of stream, and on the ground i see a large female slider turtle and she was laying eggs. The next day i check and see if she layed any and she had layed around 14 eggs , the problem is she layed them under a tree in a dry really cold spot where no sun hits them, and i was wondering if i can carefully move the eggs to this perfect spot i found where is nice and humid and is really warm... please help me im worried for the poor eggs and its already been a week.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you do decide to move them make sure you keep them in the same position they are in or the embryo could die. That means don't roll them around. They should be in a hole and covered up.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Turtles don't just lay eggs anywhere, they pic spots they feel beat for the clutch survival. I'm sure the eggs are in a fine spot, and I would not move them at all and just let nature do its thing. You can keep checking see if you can catch hatching leaving the nest, in a few months

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I would let nature takes its course.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it would be a mistake to mess with them. Female turtles are pretty canny when it comes to where to put their eggs. Another thing to consider is that many types of turtle are protected in their home range and it's against the law to fool with either them or their eggs.

My vote goes for leaving them alone.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Millerlite said:
Turtles don't just lay eggs anywhere, they pic spots they feel beat for the clutch survival. I'm sure the eggs are in a fine spot, and I would not move them at all and just let nature do its thing. You can keep checking see if you can catch hatching leaving the nest, in a few months

Should they be covered up though? I hope nothing gets them!

Status
Not open for further replies.