Help! My tort is eating rocks

Cassidy M.

I'm concerned about my sulcata tortoise because whenever I take her outside she always tries to eat the rocks. Will it hurt her if she swallows any and why is she doing this?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Welcome to TFO! Have an educated stay :D It probably is really dangerous and will cause a possibly deadly impaction, that shows that she's lacking something in her diet (calcium or another mineral probably)... Sprinkle calcium 2-3 times a week and leave cuttle bone with her, also try to remove rocks ASAP! Thanks :)
If it continues after removing rocks and supplementing try your best!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, a product called miner-all has helped many with the same problem. A caution, giving too much calcium can be as bad as not enough. A small pinch 1-2 times a week is good. Get the miner-all and try that.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Offering cuttlebone is a very good idea. Impaction from eating rocks can be fatal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first step is to figure out WHY your tortoise is eating rocks.

What sort of lighting and UV do you use inside?
What sort of supplementation do you use?
What do you typically feed?

MinerAll will help to alleviate the symptoms in most cases, but the cause of the problem should still be corrected.

Cassidy M.

I use UVB lights inside that I got from the pet store but she only eats rocks when I bring her outside because she doesn't have rocks in her indoors enclosure. I typically feed her some organic spring mix from the grocery store. And I have recently started using calcium powder since I have been told to on here. I hope that can help figure out why she is eating them.