Help!!!!! My sulcata is constipated and can't poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
GREG......my best advise is to DUCK & RUN FOR COVERRRRRR because I just got my two Sulcata's, they finally slept for the very first time in their pen and I was shocked this morning to see how much they pooped in just a couple of hours and while they were sleeping, so
If yours is constipated you're in trouble!!!! I hope he/she gets well soon!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GregUnd said:
Tom,
She has always eaten a spring mix, Fresh Express, at least once a day. I have no idea why she eats her substrate, but she eats her Forrest moss too. Any ideas?

Spring mix is fine as part of the diet. It sure is convenient. Sulcatas need a lot more fiber in their diet though. Weeds, cactus pads, grasses and leaves usually serve this function. If you have trouble finding those things there is a product called "Salad Style". Tyler at http://www.tortoisesupply.com/salad-style-food-topper/ carries this. Its basically finely chopped grass hays that you sprinkle onto pre-wetted chopped up greens. It not only adds fiber, but it starts getting your tortoise used to the taste and texture of what will become one of their main food sources as an adult.

Also, you might need to start using a vitamin and/or mineral supplement a couple times a week. I like "MinerAll" from Sticky Tongue Farms and have had very good results with it.

Mazuri would be an easy way to deliver some balanced nutrition too.

Hopefully adding some of these things to the diet and your routine will PREVENT future occurrences of this sort of problem.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
try and get them started on hay, this will save your time and a small fortune in the future.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am so happy to hear "it all came out in the end"....(could not stop myself..teeeheeee). I know, I am a dork some days...

But in all seriousness, good job, you two did great work :D

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Spring mix is fine as part of the diet. It sure is convenient. Sulcatas need a lot more fiber in their diet though. Weeds, cactus pads, grasses and leaves usually serve this function. If you have trouble finding those things there is a product called "Salad Style". Tyler at http://www.tortoisesupply.com/salad-style-food-topper/ carries this. Its basically finely chopped grass hays that you sprinkle onto pre-wetted chopped up greens. It not only adds fiber, but it starts getting your tortoise used to the taste and texture of what will become one of their main food sources as an adult.

Also, you might need to start using a vitamin and/or mineral supplement a couple times a week. I like "MinerAll" from Sticky Tongue Farms and have had very good results with it.

Mazuri would be an easy way to deliver some balanced nutrition too.

Hopefully adding some of these things to the diet and your routine will PREVENT future occurrences of this sort of problem.

Ahhhh, I see. I had forgotten all about the mazuri, mainly because I ran out. I used to feed her mazuri one day and spring mix the other, etc. I'll have to order more from Tyler, or I'll look into that salad style stuff you mentioned. She's a year and a half old, and pretty large for her age, she eats about 1.25 oz of spring mix per feeding, sometimes she eats twice a day.

Swidgen's Mom

5 Year Member
:cool:
Thanks to this discussion, now we're not as worry as we were before. We love our Sulcutta.

~Mary

1 - Sulcatta "Swidgen"
3 - daughters (+ 1 daughter-in-law)
1 - son
2 - grandkids
1 - boyfriend :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Greg, I'm glad you worked it out. Cypress mulch is often used because it retains moisture, but as you've seen, it can be harmful if ingested. It can also harbor insects and fungi, and has been known to promote shell fungus.

Coco coir is a really good substrate because, not only does it retain moisture, but it is also cleaner, and typically safe if ingested. Might want to switch to that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.