HELP! my 3 month old tortoises shell is squishy! can anyone help?!

Boba29

i got a baby leopard tortoise on june 27 and she was healthy and then one day i noticed that her shell was squishy, mostly her bottom, and she has a new uvb light and she gets calcium on all of her meals

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you get her outside for natural sunlight? Sometime, this unfortunately happens. I will see if I can get you more help then I can give. I would try to get her outside though. Just be sure to provide shade so she doesn't over heat. @Yvonne G @Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
New keepers just don't understand how important it is for baby tortoises to have real sunshine. I realize that 'real' sunshine si hard to come by in the cooler months, so that's why a GOOD UVB light is so important. Don't skimp because they cost so much. Get a GOOD one. A good UVB light with a calcium supplement two or three times a week along with calcium-rich foods and you will never see a soft shell in a baby tortoise.

But since it is now soft, you will have to be really industrious about trying to get him better. Read the care sheets at the top of the leopard and sulcata sections and give serious consideration to changing the way you have your baby set up. Feed him the foods we recommend, soak him like it is recommended in the care sheets, and get him either into the sun or under a good UVB light.

Good luck. I hope you are able to turn this baby around.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif